| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Baby joy for teacher who saved her brother’s life  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Baby joy for teacher who saved her brother’s life
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/9182962.Baby_joy_for_teacher_who_saved_her_brother___s_life/

Baby joy for teacher who saved her brother’s life

A WOMAN who donated one of her kidneys to save her brother’s life is celebrating becoming a mum.

Emma Rimmer gave birth to Emily Rae Price 11 days ago — and both mum and daughter are doing fine.

Emma, aged 33, who lives in Bromley Cross, said: “The birth of Emily shows that living organ donors can lead a normal life and go on to do what they want.

“I want this to raise awareness of the importance of becoming an organ donor.”

PE teacher Emma made the decision to help save her younger brother Matthew’s life by donating one of her healthy kidneys in 2005 after he became critically ill when both of his failed.

Matthew, of Brook Gardens, Harwood, was just 18-years-old when his kidneys first failed as a result of the genetic condition Alport’s syndrome.

He was given a transplant but his new kidney failed in 2004, forcing Matthew to endure four-hour dialysis sessions three times every week. Emma and Matthew spent eight hours undergoing operations in December 2005 , and Matthew’s condition immediately improved.

Matthew, now 30, said: “I now have this lovely niece.

“Saying I’m grateful to my sister, is an understatement. What she did has changed my life, my priority was dialysis, so I could not go away, I was tired and was limited in what I could do .

“But now I have no restrictions.”

The family are hoping their story will inspire others to become a organ donor to ensure others like Matthew have a second chance at life. Emma said: “When I fell pregnant, I had extra scans and tests, in fact I was in a better position than others because I was monitored so closely.

“I was told by doctors that the number of living donors had increased to 90 from 16, when I was a donor.”

Matthew said: “I have friends who have undergone kidney transplants and had a baby.”

The family are big supporters of organ donation and back the campaign to have all people automatically on the register unless the choose to opt out.

Emma said: “If people think about becoming organ donors earlier and talk about it, it makes it easier for the family during a very stressful time if something was to happen to them.

“The whole organ donation scheme is improving with training for family liaison officers and improvements in the way surgery is carried out. Today it is all keyhole, had I wanted that I would have had to go to Leeds.

“I was not scared about becoming a donor, I just wanted to do something to help my brother and now we both lead normal lives.”
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional