| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Starting a 501 (c)3 to help with LOD travel and hotel expenses  (Read 4529 times)

Offline earnil1968

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
I am currently being evaluated to be a donor for an acquaintance.  During this journey I have found that most non-medical expenses such as travel, hotel, and meals are not covered by the recipients insurance.  I have submitted my paperwork through the state to form a 501 ©3 to help cover the cost of such items as well as search out businesses that would offer free or discounted services to living donors.  Am I missing it totally or are there many other sources out there for this type of service?  Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

During this journey I have been able to recruit three other people to donate.  I could have more but the expenses counter the joy of giving.  Times are tough and money is tough to come by for most people.  I think that if there were options and cost saving alternatives then more people would donate.  I am hoping that I can help make a difference.

;)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Starting a 501 (c)3 to help with LOD travel and hotel expenses
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:27:44 PM »
     There is also a Federal program at www.livingdonorassistance.org which offers money for such donor expenses. However I believe it only does so if the recipient is below a certain income level, so some documentation has to be provided. I have only heard of a few donors who have been helped financially there, but it sounds like it would be worth finding out more about.
     The "Transplant Recipients International Organization" ("T.R.I.O.") manages to gather some funds to be able to help some donors with travel expenses, and also collects donated "frequent flyer" miles in order to sometimes be able to provide a plane ticket when such travel is needed. www.TRIOWEB.org
     I have heard that www.healwithlovefoundation.org tries to help with lost wages, but I don't know anything further about them.
     I hope some of this info may be helpful.
           Fr. Pat

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:31:25 AM »
I am currently being evaluated to be a donor for an acquaintance.  During this journey I have found that most non-medical expenses such as travel, hotel, and meals are not covered by the recipients insurance.  I have submitted my paperwork through the state to form a 501 ©3 to help cover the cost of such items as well as search out businesses that would offer free or discounted services to living donors.  Am I missing it totally or are there many other sources out there for this type of service?  Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

During this journey I have been able to recruit three other people to donate.  I could have more but the expenses counter the joy of giving.  Times are tough and money is tough to come by for most people.  I think that if there were options and cost saving alternatives then more people would donate.  I am hoping that I can help make a difference.

;)

Is the recipient unable to cover any of the expenses? They are legally allowed to reimburse for travel, lodging and lost wages.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline billmaem

• Conversationalist
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »
Some states have tax deductions for kidney donors.  http://www.kidney.org/transplantation/livingdonors/pdf/LDTaxDed_Leave.pdf

Also talk to your transplant center as mine had a deal with a hotel in the area so I could stay there at a reduced rate. 

Ellen

Offline tictaktoes

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
    • Help an organ donor become a mom!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 05:30:04 PM »
Most of the times, any medical related expenses such as travel, stay, etc can be tax deducted. Make sure that you keep a log of all the expenses and receipt and consult a tax lawyer at the time of filing taxes.

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »
I hope you're still reviewing this.

There are usually hotels near the transplant center that give patients and families a discount.

I had to fly to another state and American Airlines upgraded our tickets home to first class at no additional cost, because I needed the legroom and to be able to stand and stretch.  That was a pleasant surprise. 

And if you are not donating until next year and have a Health Care Flexible Spending Account or Health Savings Account through your work (or your spouse's), all those expenses are eligible for reimbursement.  It's your money but it's tax-free.  You can be reimbursed for necessary travel expenses.  Check on any other expenses you may have to see if you can at least get a tax break that way.

Best wishes!
audrey

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional