| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Social media post leads teacher to become kidney donor  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Social media post leads teacher to become kidney donor
« on: January 29, 2013, 05:35:43 AM »
Social media post leads teacher to become kidney donor

Posted: Jan 28, 2013 3:01 PM PST
Updated: Jan 28, 2013 3:45 PM PST
By Sherrell Hubbard - email

John and Tina Desmond
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – Many of us use social networking sites to keep up with family and friends, but you don't think of it as a place to find an organ donor.

In July, Buffy Sexton saw a Facebook post about a man who desperately needed a kidney. On Thursday, she'll grant his wish.

Sexton, a Meyzeek Middle School teacher, is going to donate one of her kidneys. The recipient is a man she found out about through on Facebook.

John Desmond's kidneys were badly damaged while he was battling meningitis. His wife, Tina, made the original Facebook post out of desperation after none of their relatives were a match. Sexton went for testing and found out she was a perfect match for John Desmond.

Desmond calls her his angel.

"There's no way to ever pay her back," said Desmond. "I could win 100 million dollars in the lottery and give it all to her and it still wouldn't be enough."

Sexton said donating an organ just makes sense.

"If all I need to do is a surgery and it'll turn their entire family's life around ... if I can do it, why wouldn't I do it?" said Sexton.

Sexton teaches 7th grade science. When she recovers she plans to start educating adults about the benefits of being an organ donor.

The surgery will take place Thursday at UK hospital in Lexington.

The Desmond's are accepting donations to help cover medical and travel expenses. If you want to help, you can donate to the John Desmond Kidney Fund at any local Republic Bank.

http://www.wave3.com/story/20755831/social-media-post-leads-teacher-to-become-kidney-donor
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved