| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: GFR worries  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Wazbamhat

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
GFR worries
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:08:22 AM »
I'm hoping to donate to my brother in the summer. We are 100% match :)
However my coordinators are concerned about my GFR which is 85ml. My split function is 60/40 and the smaller kidney is on the left and has an extra accessory artery.

I'm sinking in little bits of knowledge about GFR but not completely understanding any of it!
Why would my GFR be low in the first place?
Will it get lower and stay lower after the transplant?
If it is estimated to fall by 1% every year after 40, will it be below 60 in 25 years time? And will I be poorly then?

I have a meeting tomorrow with the transplant team and my brother but I just wanted to make some sense of it all before then. It helps if real people tell you doesn't it?

Thanks in advance xxx

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: GFR worries
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:16:50 AM »
Dear Wazbamhat,

I believe the evaluation of a GFR measurement needs to include information about your age, weight , gender, the method used to determine the GFR and probably other factors. 

Why don't you schedule an independent evaluation with a nephrologist? 

I think you should consult with the transplant team without your brother present.

As the sole donor tested for my Dad,  I felt a significant added pressure on my decision.   
I was probably more concerned with "passing" tests than considering the long term outcome for myself. 

Love, elephant

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:48:20 PM »
It is good to have that concern.  My creatinine was below 1.0 before donation but has never gotten below 1.6 post.  My nephrologist believes they took the better kidney.  I also know that my recipient runs about 1.0.  My nephrologist said there is a test to determine which is the better one and said it is appropriate.  I wish I had talked to him first.  He told me that at the normal rate of deterioration of function I would need dialysis at age 90.  I am 62.  I am not alarmed by that.  I need to take care off myself as we all do.  Keep asking questions.  All the best. 

Offline tantemorte

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:38:55 PM »
The first thing it depends on right now is how old are you?

Your GFR will definitely drop after donation,it is expected to,to at least between 80%-65% of the original. That's supposed to be your 'new normal' ,your aging decline will come out of that.

Apparently most of the time the one kidney bounces back to the aforementioned numbers but there are always exceptions.

I wa 32 when I donated,with a GFR of 80,it turned out (they told me it was 100,I only found out otherwise when I asked for my medical records). My GFR is now between 42-48 (I'm almost 37 now),lower than expected...I have what is called a non-compensating kidney. It does come with symptoms & issues,like fatigue & fluid retention (& things that come along with fluid retention). I don't see good things in my future senior years.

I like the previous poster's idea of consulting with an independent nephrologist,preferably one not in any sort of affiliation with a transplant center. I would also suggest asking for a look NOW through your test results,etc.

Also,have a read through  http://www.livingdonor101.com/

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved