| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New here  (Read 5944 times)

Offline Xtina77

• My first post!
New here
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:36:44 PM »
Hello all. I just began the process of being a living donor for my daughter's father. First round of blood work done...blood type matched,3 out of 6 on the antigen match and a negative cross match. I've received mixed reactions when I tell people that I'm going to donate. Having additional blood work,and glucose tolerance test done this coming Friday. I've done a fair amount of research, but any advice is completely welcome!
~X

Offline felixdacat

• Top 200 Poster!
Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:53:35 PM »
I have mostly received postitive feedback, and as a matter of fact, sometimes "too much".  I am doing what I  have to do to save my brothers life.  Is giving a kidney a first choice of how I want to spend my summer, not really, I prefered that vacation in Mexico last year. :D  I know I ahve to watch my health the rest of my life; which in  some ways is a blessing.   I am much better with my diet and exercise now.

That GTT was a doozy.  I ended up having issues with it, due to some medication that I am on.   I take it you ahve to do a 24 hour urine test, an EKG, a chest Xray?.   By the end of hte process you will know everything about your health.   I know that every time any results were not "perfect" and the thought that anything might eliminate me, that brought on a feeling of disappointment. Moreso that if I had jsut been getting a physical.  It was nerve racking knowing what the results were.

My surgery is now planned for July.   

Offline peterduvall

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:23:45 PM »
Tina

Hi, first of all congratulations on considering donation, its not the easiest way to lose a few ounces, but still rewarding.

I was lucky in that I had a very simple, easy decision, donating to a father that gave me everything (emotionally, not materially). I was a match for my Dad, donated without a doubt or second thought and I know that is not usual in terms of donation and I consider myself so lucky.

Part of the donation process is the psychological exam.......which is what is your relationship, why you are donating, etc, I think this is almost or more important than the physical part.

I dont know your situation but I know that it can be very difficult an complicated when as not so easy as the choice I made.

PS - I was home 3 days after surgery, working a week later at home, and physically I'm fine 5 years after donation..........better even as  I make sure to get a yearly checkup.

and old as it is.........my running  joke to all those younger than me when doing anything physical is........jeez - you cant even keep up w/ an old guy w/ one kidney...........my 4 year old nephew and teenage daughters dont think it's too funny .......but it brings a smile to my face every time.

Peter

Peter

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:26:42 AM »
Tina,

I am hopefully coming toward the end of my donation journey.  Even though I went into it thinking I was prepared to do what it takes (and I was), I do have to say that I was suprised on what that meant. 

The testing and preparation in the process is a bit taxing but I know in the end it will be worth it.  People's reactions seem to vary and that is a bit difficult to get used to.  I have some folks who do the "you are so brave and what you are doing is admirable" to "OMG!  You have to be kidding!"  And, some folks actually started asking my spouse about why they would allow me to do it.  So, just be prepared for these oddities.

I am blessed though that I am doing this.  It has forced me to focus back on myself from a physical and spiritual aspect.  I have found I am more grounded in both areas. 

I have a stressful carrier that used to eat up a lot of my time.  My Blood Pressure was out of control and I have a family history of hypertension.  I used to run a lot but due to work/family stopped to focus on "more important things".

My situation was time senstive.  My uncle (raised as my brother so I call him my bruncle) is running out of time.  I was the only family member who even made it past the first round of testing.  Stressful in and of itself.  After I was told I must drop my BP down I joined an extreme boot camp for exercise and focused on myself with support from my family. 

I am now down over 50 lbs and in extremely good shape.  There have been tons of delays, moments of anxiety while doing a 24 hour blood pressure monitor test.  Last minute challenges at the last minute where as I make it to the end that they found I had a small cyst at the last minute on my right kidney.  Lots of dietary changes and trips back/forth to the MD for blood work, tests, and other items.

I guess what I am saying the donation process may vary but for me it has been a whirl wind experience and at times feels like a constant battle and bureacracy.  Yet, I would do it all over again.  Even now I have a date set finally or surgery and am going to post that under a separate thread shortly); however, I have come to a peace about the fact that it could change and I am not in control.  In fact,during my last round of tests for an UltraSound, I had 3 separate problems with paperwork and at the last second they had to re-do everything due to a typo (my appointment took over 4 hours of extra time due to the chaos) and all I kept saying to the staff was No problem, if anything this entire process has taught me patience.  They looked at me like I had 3 heads LOL. 

Do your research as well.  I am surprised that there is not more information out there for potential donors.  I have learned more from this site than I thought possible.  And, in my round 2 testing with the one on one interviews, I was fortunate enough to meet with one of the surgeons who was extremely forthcoming about the procedures and post-donation issues that I have read about on here and other places.

Request a donor buddy on here and from your facility if they offer it.  And, surround yourself with support.

If you ever have a question, want to blow off steam/frustration, or if I can help in any way then feel free to private message me.

Good luck on your journey and I hope you find it as rewarding as I have thus far (and I haven't even made it to the end yet) :).

-Scott

Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline tanimbarcorella

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:28:02 AM »
Don't worry about the negative reactions of other people - just do what is right for you. I was really angry at first that certain people in my life were so negative about my decision to donate, but I decided that I would love them for caring enough about me to worry, but not feed into it myself. I am a strong believer in the power of positive thinking. I never wavered in my decision - I researched the risks but I never let myself get worried about it. I knew that what was meant to happen would happen and that I was doing the right thing for me, regardless of what anyone else had to say. In the end, all my nay-sayers came around after they saw how easy the process went for me. I spent my post-op time off sunbathing and listening to Jason Mraz (the perfect soundtrack for positive thinking). I honestly feel better than ever - I lost 6 pounds in the hospital and thought, why waste that head start, so now I'm doing an hour of cardio exercise every day when before I was a couch potato. My former digestive irregularity is gone (thanks, exercise!) and I feel fantastic. If you follow your heart and do what's right for YOU, things will work out. The other side of the story: my uncle is doing fabulously - the kidney started working as soon as it was hooked up, and hasn't wavered since! They are sending the dialysis machine back -- woo! :)

Offline chazmanz

• My first post!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 12:16:04 AM »
If you follow your heart and do what's right for YOU, things will work out.

I am new here too and am currently going through all the steps to getting this done. There has been lots of "noise" from close loved ones telling me things that really hurt, but my heart is telling me this is for the best. It feels extremely great at times. I appreciate reading everyone's positive comments and stories. It makes feel that I am on the right path.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved