| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Hot Yoga?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline kali

• Top 100 Poster!
Hot Yoga?
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:27:30 AM »
Does anyone practice hot yoga?  I'm two years post donation and have tried it once.  I was a bit scared of dehydration due to all the sweating involved.  I was careful to drink plenty afterwards but was wondering if this was a good idea to continue.

Regular yoga is fine for me..I especially enjoy the meditation afterwards to calm the mind.  I've tried to continue running but have not gotten to my goal yet.  I think I keep worrying about burning out my lone kidney.

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Hot Yoga?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
I did hot yoga before donation and asked about it when I was going through testing.  The nephrologist and surgeon but said it should be fine, just stay hydrated (although I am not really sure either of them really knew what I was talking about.)  I actually don't do it now as often as I would like, but I am very conscious about drinking more than usual water during the day before yoga and lots during and after.  I also run, and now that it is hot I do the same, drink more before and I take a water belt with me to drink during the run if it is more than 50 minutes and hot out.

Namaste :-)
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline kali

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Hot Yoga?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 02:46:06 PM »
Thanks Jewels.  The last time I jogged for 50 minutes I felt like I "hit a wall" and just couldn't go anymore.  Like I ran out of gas.
I'll keep trying.  My tests are all good.
Om shanti..

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional