| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Ireland: Sister and brother celebrate 30 years of transplant health  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16977:sister-and-brother-celebrate-30-years-of-transplant-health&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Sister and brother celebrate 30 years of transplant health

A woman who received a kidney transplant from her brother 30 years ago celebrated the occasion recently with family and friends in Westport.
Julie O’Neill (nee Sammon, Erriff) held a gala celebration to mark the magnificent landmark and to raise awareness and funds for transplantation charities. She was joined by her brother and donor Padraic Sammon, extended family and friends, members of her transplant care team from the Royal Free Hospital, London and members of Team Transplant Ireland – one of the charities to benefit from the night.
The group gathered at Knockranny House, Hotel where they learned more about the remarkable transplant success story and about the importance of organ donation.
When Julie arrived in London in 1970 little did she realise that by May 1978 she would be diagnosed with organ failure.  It was a shocking diagnosis for the young woman who was recently married and had her whole life to look forward to.
“Although I had been having problems for some time and had regular blood checks, I’d been given no indication that my kidneys were the problem or that the situation was so serious,” she recalls. “If I knew at this point how my life was going to be affected, I would have undoubtedly said that I would have been unable to cope. Perhaps it’s better not to know what one’s future has in store.”
After further tests and assessments, she was given the opportunity to dialyse at night so that she could continue with her career. Her routine was to report for dialysis at 8pm, dialyse until 2am, stay at the hospital until 6am and then make her way to work.
As well as the distress of the constant treatment and the realisation that she could no longer participate in the ‘normal’ activities so enjoyed by her young peers, she was also forced to endure a quality of life far below that expected of any 27 year-old.
“Living with kidney disease and dialysing has a long list of inconveniences and annoyances,” she explains, “erratic blood pressure, high off dialysis, low whilst on dialysis, very restricted diet, very restricted fluids and low potassium allowance.  All of my favourite things - chocolate, coffee, cheese, and even potatoes were restricted. 
“But worst of all is the complete lack of energy to do the everyday things in life, from walking around a supermarket, to going out for an evening, to just staying awake at week-ends long enough to watch a late movie.”
This was Julie’s routine until September 1982 when her brother Padraic, then a 19-year-old student, at St Patrick’s Drumcondra bravely gave her a kidney. The Scoil Phadraig teacher was on hand to celebrate the pair’s good health and the wonderful impact his decision of 30 years ago has had on his sister’s life.
As well as the 30th anniversary of her transplant, Julie also recently celebrated her 60th birthday, 40th wedding anniversary to husband Fergus, and is about to mark 25 successful years in business with her London company CARA Personnel Employment,  the first of its kind in the UK.
“Despite that awful time, I know that I am incredibly fortunate,” she adds. “Apart from being on daily medication to prevent rejection of my new kidney, I am told by the renal team at the Royal Free Hospital in London that I have one of the best kidneys in town!
“I try to take good care of my kidney, always take my medication at the allocated times and try to avoid leaving myself vulnerable to germs. I see myself as a very healthy person with a kidney transplant.  I compete every year in the Transplant Games and usually get at least one medal even if it is only a bronze.”
Julie values each and every extra day that she has been given and is a great supporter of the health service and an advocate for organ donor cards.
“There are an estimated 500 people on the kidney transplant list in Ireland alone and over 8,000 people on the transplant waiting list in the UK,” she explains. “Unfortunately hundreds die every year waiting for organs. I firmly believe that the only solution is to operate a ‘presumed consent’ policy, where organs are automatically taken on a person’s death unless stated otherwise. We need to clear those lists of people waiting for organs before it’s too late.
“Until the regulations are changed, we must all be pro-active about organ donation. If you are reading this, please carry a donor card and make your relatives aware of your wishes. Alternatively if you have a relative on dialysis, please consider donating a kidney. You too can give somebody the gift of life.”
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional