| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 3 years later...  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
3 years later...
« on: July 16, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »
Hello!  It has been awhile since I have been on this board, nice to still see some familiar names!  My 3 year donation anniversary was yesterday.  Unfortunately my recipient/sister has been on dialysis almost 2 years.  There was no rejection, but she has FSGS and it attacked her new kidney.

I had a thorough physical recently and I am happy to report my creatinine is .82.  What came as a surprise is I have an overactive thyroid, hyperthyroidism.  I have an appt with an endocrinologist the end of the month but my PCP wants me to start meds right away.  I guess I should have suspected when I was losing weight so easily! 

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, gone on the anti-thyroid medication or had other treatments?  My liver enzymes are also high which has me concerned.  Doc thinks it may be related to the thyroid so we will just monitor for now.

Hope everyone is enjoying summer!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: 3 years later...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:43:55 AM »
Dear Jewels,

I'm sorry to hear your sister is still on dialysis.  We can keep hoping for better treatments. 

I'm also past our 3rd anniversary.  My serum creatinine has never been below 1.15 or above 1.3 since the donation.  For sure I do not have over active thyroid: I struggle to keep my weight down. 

I've heard lots of things that can raise liver enzymes.  Including Tylenol, which is what I take for pain since donating.  Also dietary supplements can do this, are you using any?

Love, elephant

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: 3 years later...
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »
Dear Julie,

Great to hear from you, though your mixed emotional situation sounds challenging. Best wishes. My eldest daughter just went through the diagnosis and treatment of hyperthyroidism. We can take that discussion private if you want to know more. Best wishes for a good relationship with your endocrinologist. To the best of my knowledge, being a kidney donor is likely unrelated to cause, diagnosis, or treatment of elevated thyroid or liver enzymes. Take care.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved