| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: possible donation in a couple months  (Read 4845 times)

dawniemarie80

possible donation in a couple months
« on: November 16, 2011, 01:56:26 AM »
Hi All!
  My name is dawn. currently in minnesota but i am doing all my testing and possible transplant at the veterans hospital in Iowa City. ( has anyone donated a kidney there, and if so how was your experience? ) So far my story is this. about 3 years ago i moved in with a friend's family. renting a room in their basement. my friend's dad was sick but did not go on dialysis till the end of last year. It has been very hard on him , and when he was told about the possibility of going on a waiting list for a kidney he decided yes. he went through the testing and passed /was approved for recieving a kidney. i filled out my questionairre in  may. at first he didnt want me to take the risk of donating however alot of his family was disqualifiied for health reasons. i just prayed that he would change his mind and he did. so about a month ago i did the 3 hr glucose test(NASTY) and also picked up my jug for the 24 hr urine analysis. i passed those with flying colors, and because i am O Negative they said i had a huge chance of matching. i am flying down to iowa city the first week of december to do my final evaluation ( which they say is just a formality to make sure everything is as it should be. and then that following monday i am presented as a potential donor..if accepted surgery is confirmed ( we will book tentative dates when i go in dec.) i am SO EXCITED :) i literally have complete peace about this whole situation. I know it is a major surgery and feel like God has been preparing me (i have been losing weight, eating healthy,) and even have had some dreams relating to the procedure. any suggestions, experiences would be greatly appreciated ! thanks ! i will keep the board updated on how everything is going for me and my friend's dad !

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: possible donation in a couple months
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 06:48:15 PM »
Dear Dawn,
     You might find it helpful to read some of the stories in the "experiences of other living donors" section of this site, as there donors have the chance to describe our experiences in more detail.
      The book "Giving Life" by Tom Falsey (www.amazon.com or www.crystalvisionbooks.com) is a nice collection of stories of donors  (living and deceased) and recipients, with both successful and unsuccessful transplants.
      www.kidney.org/transplantation/livingdonors/infotips.cfm has a number of helpful hints collected from past donors by the National Kidney Foundation.
      So, take it a step at a time, and enjoy the ride. Also know that you are free to gracefully back out at any point if you change your mind. It is major surgery and there are risks involved, so keep getting well educated on it all.
     best wishes,
        Fr. pat

Offline Linda

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:37:49 AM »
Hi Dawn,

I donated a kidney at UAB in Birmingham and had numerous delays from the transplant center in getting it scheduled.  I have heard this from other donors as well, so keep in mind there are many hoops yet to jump through so just be patient!  It was quite disruptive to my work and grad school, because we excepted surgery in late July/Aug and it finally happened 10/28. 

Otherwise, I found it helpful to read donor stories that were positive, but avoided any horror stories.  I also tried to increase the exercise I got, especially ab work, and to eat better which is a win-win!

Keep a list of questions that come up so you can ask your coordinator.  Best of luck to you and your potential recipient!

Linda
donated kidney to dear friend Oct. 2011

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:10:07 PM »
Linda,

I was a living kidney donor at the University of Alabama-Birmingham on October 28, 2009!

GREAT PLACE.  I'd do it again in a second, if it were possible.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional