| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Just getting started  (Read 7615 times)

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
Just getting started
« on: March 25, 2012, 06:43:04 PM »
Just wanted to say hello. My mom has finally agreed to let me get tested to give her a kidney so we are beginning this process together.  After a year on dialysis she is now starting the process of testing so she can be approved to recieve one.  Once she finishes her testing, then I will start my part.  If all goes well, we will have the surgery in January. 

She lost one of her kidneys in her twenties, and this past year her only remaining kidney failed and she went on pertioneal dialysys.  As a kid, I knew that she could one day need a transplant.  So I decided then that she could have one of mine.  The Reader's Digest used to publish frequent medical stories about transplants and I think that's where the idea came from.  We are so much alike.  I have her personality, her feet and her height (or lack of it). So I told her enough of us is the same, darn it, our kidney's better match too.

This weekend I was doing research to find out what would be involved and I found your site.  You have given me lots of info and insight already, so thanks for that. 

I have lots of concerns about the process, although no doubts I will do it.  I may be coming to you guys for advice and to vent.  I am trying to keep this private from some areas of my life and not talk about it too much to the people who do know.  So I may need to talk to you.  In the meantime I am trying to use this as a motivation to get back in shape and exercise again. 

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Just getting started
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »
Welcome and good luck! I just donated on 1/31. I was a nervous wreck but had no doubts I would go through with it once I found out I was a match (for my boyfriend).

Research and talking to people helped me a lot, but when it came down to the wire, I was still scared. I had never had any kind of surgery or been in a hospital overnight before.

It's been two months and it was a piece of cake for me. I feel like I did before the surgery and he feels 100x better. You will enjoy watching your Mom get her life back.

Here's to hoping you are a match!

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:16:34 AM »
The one thing I wish I did before beginning my journey is talk to my primary care physician.  I spoke to her in the middle of the process and she brought up some important questions that needed my attention.  I hope to donate to my dad next month.

I met the most amazing people on this board, you can ask them anything.  Good luck!!
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:13:07 AM »
Dear Mintx,

You have a very good idea to resume your exercise program.  I believe, based on my experience, the recovery experience is improved for fit people.  This is a an imporant thing to do whether you become a donor or not.  If you need some cheerleading to get you started, I think you have come to the right place!

I donated to my Dad last year.  While I can't say it was a piece of cake for me, seeing Daddy look healthy again was certainly the icing! I can say I really liked being a donor and that it was the most interesting thing I've done. 

love, elephant

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 02:23:00 AM »
Thank you so much for the kind welcome. I need lots of cheerleading for the exercise.  It is not my favorite thing to do.  I have set a goal of jogging in a 5k in June and a 10K on Thanksgiving. 

I also talked to mom today and got some good news.  She quit smoking again!   I did not think they would do the transplant on a smoker and she has quit before.  So, after talking to her doctors she has quit again!  YAY MOM!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 07:17:31 AM »
     That's great news! In itself quitting smoking is good, but for surgery (both for donor and recipient) it is very important to have the lungs clear and clean. Being laid up in a hospitals, and having breathing tubes inserted for surgery, and having so many hospital germs floating around means that post-op pneumonia is a real danger.
     Running is great. Start small and build up gradually. I didn't start running until after donation surgery, but eventually got all the way up to Marathon distance. But that first 5k was a triumph I had never thought of reaching. You'll both have to take good care of yourselves after the surgery, so starting now is a great idea.
    best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Offline Skillet

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
Welcome and good luck! I just donated on 1/31. I was a nervous wreck but had no doubts I would go through with it once I found out I was a match (for my boyfriend).

Research and talking to people helped me a lot, but when it came down to the wire, I was still scared. I had never had any kind of surgery or been in a hospital overnight before.

It's been two months and it was a piece of cake for me. I feel like I did before the surgery and he feels 100x better. You will enjoy watching your Mom get her life back.

Here's to hoping you are a match!

X 2  !!

I donated 3/9/12 and still can't believe how good I feel.  Almost 100% except for the weight restrictions!  I'm still riding the high of doing something so courages and special.  My brother is doing awesome also!!  The whole experience has been so very mentally fulfilling to me. 

Terryw

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 08:38:47 AM »
Hi Mintx

Good luck with it all and enjoy the ride!!! lots of info on here and I found it a big help.

My other brother has just donated his kidney to my older brother and both are doing well and cant wait to get home!!!!

Keep us updated  ;)

Terry  ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:48:42 AM by Terryw »

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »

X 2  !!

I donated 3/9/12 and still can't believe how good I feel.  Almost 100% except for the weight restrictions!  I'm still riding the high of doing something so courages and special.  My brother is doing awesome also!!  The whole experience has been so very mentally fulfilling to me.

That's how I felt too, Skillet. Everyone kept saying, "you don't look like you just had surgery!" Having never had it before I have no idea what I was supposed to look like. But I felt almost normal pretty quickly.

I wouldn't say that I'm a "fit" person, though I do walk my dog every day for 45 minutes. I don't know what the difference is between people who have easy recoveries and those who have harder ones. I would guess that good general health prior, and maybe "fitness" is part of it. As well as pain and medication tolerance.

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »
Hi Mintx,

Hello and welcome!

I am so glad you found us. I think it is so fantastic that you are willing to donate to your Mom. Please do feel free to as us anything and everything you are wondering about as you move along through the donation process. There are a lot of fantastic people on this board. We are all willing to help out any way we can.

Please keep up posted how things are going with you and your Mom.

Best of luck to you both! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »
Dear mintx,

If you add 1/4 mile a week you should be able to finish a 5K by June.  Keep us updated.

love, elephant

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional