| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Big Belly :-)  (Read 7042 times)

Offline gbug12001

• Top 200 Poster!
Big Belly :-)
« on: May 10, 2012, 07:25:57 PM »
It's been 3 weeks after donation.  I'm doing great. I've slowly started back to my old exercise program.. yoga, weights and jogging.  What is bugging me is the lower belly, I guess you would call it swelling.  I've read that it may take a while for it go away.  I wonder if Ice will help it go away..

Is it swollen.. It cant still be gas can it?  I'm just being impatient

On another note.. The Dr.'s released my brother, they told him to go home and enjoy life.  What a great experience this has been.

Jacqui

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Big Belly :-)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
     I would suspect that it is fluids rather than gas as (if I undestand it right; I'm not a medical professional) the body uses fluids to help fill the empty space where the kidney was until things shift around again. Also perhaps the skin stretched from the initial bloating and takes a while to get back to normal after the fluids have reduced? Anyway, I think that the regular exercise, stretching, etc. is probably the best help. I don't see how ice would help, but might be worth trying. Please let us know how things go, as a lot of donors have had the same problem.
    best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
Congratulations on the donation and how wonderful for the recipient.

You are very early in your healing.  You don't really start to heal until the 3rd week.  It might be a good idea to slow it down a bit.  Just easy walking,  slight stretching, and not more than 10 lbs at any time and only for a few reps.  You had a lot going on inside of you during that surgery.  A lot of organs were moved and jostled, connective tissue was cut to get to the kidney, then that was cut out, and then everything was sutured back together. 

I didn't start to drive until the 3rd week, my doctors orders.  I think that with all the activity you are irritating the surgery site, causing a fluid build up in you abdomen.  You might benifit from lymphatic massage which your co-ordinator should be able to recommend to you.  But please slow down, you only get one chance to heal. 

When sitting put up your legs up so your feet are even with your heart.  That will help the fluid get moving from the bottom half of your body.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline alyfaye

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »
It is more likely to be fluid, or a "hematoma." Do you still have visible bruising or discoloration around any of your incision sites? If so, there is probably still fluid built up for healing. I still have this and am 6 weeks post op. If you are thin, I think even just a tiny bit of fluid would be noticeable. My dr. told me that moving around and light exercise is helpful in getting rid of that excess fluid, but overdoing it will just prolong my healing time and potentially cause harm. Jogging is great and yoga can be too if you keep it simple for now. Happy healing :)

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 06:33:30 AM »
You may want to be in touch with your transplant coordinator and have it checked out just to make sure you don't have a seroma (fluid build up). Sometimes this fluid needs to be drained other times it can resolve on its own. I assume you already had your post op follow up with the surgeon. Was it a concern then? If things aren't improving it's always better to ask. In the meantime, take it easy. You had major surgery so allow your body to heal.

Keep us posted.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »
Dear gbug,

I agree with the other posters that you need to be cautious about resuming exercise - I sympathize with how hard it is to stick to the lifting restrictions!  You only have one chance to allow your body to heal properly.   

I was back to slow running by four weeks, with my surgeon's approval.   After exercise and by the end of the day my belly "shelf" would grow.  If I overdid it, it would really enlarge.  I found that wearing support-top stockings to work was helpfull.  I thought the "shelf" would never go away but it mostly did around 9 months. 

Love, elephant

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:46:01 PM »
Oh , Elephant.... 9 months??!!  Ugh!  I had higher expectations than that.

gbug - I'm 2.5 weeks post op and I still have a puffy stomach.  I don't know "what" it is exactly, but I understand it is what is to be expected.  I am thin and so the bump is obvious.  I finally gave in and went shopping for pants today since none of mine fit me.  I've been wearing dresses or sweats, so I have been either under or over dressed when I leave the house.

Definitely, take it easy.  Light exercise AND rest are the key to recovery.  Get yourself checked out if you think something isn't right.  Good luck!
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline Skillet

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »
I think I know what you mean about the swelling. I'm at 2 months and still have a little between the muscles and skin.  It does seem like its going away though.  I was told it will take "awhile".  When I flex my abs the bump on my left side looks like they gave me the kidney.  lol 
You'll be surprised when you start feeling things come back to life around your incision inside and out.  Not bad but I didn't realize how much feeling I lost until it started coming back.
Its hard and frustrating not to be able to jump back into your old routine but like the others said take it easy and really listen to you body.  It will tell you when your pushing to hard.
If you get any pain from that area it never hurts to tell your coordinator.
Happy healing!!! :)

Offline gbug12001

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:23:46 AM »
Thanks everyone for you input.  I suspended my running for a while and am just walking and doing light weights really just to get back in the gym.  And I found my bike.. so while my running buddies are out for a run I ride along side them.  My belly is still tender 4 weeks out.  This week by abs have been sore when I do different movements. I'm taking that as a sign that they are healing.  YIPPEE

Have a wonderful weekend. 

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
Dear gbug,

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.  Both active and cautious. 

love, elephant

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 07:58:27 AM »
Hi gbug,  at my 1month appointment recently, the nephrologist said that the puffiness in my case was from the bowel being slack as a result of being irritated during the surgery.  Even though it is working correctly, it takes some time before it is back to normal.  She said that it is more obvious in people with a thin build.  With walking and good hydration, she said it would recede in another month or so. 

Good luck to you!
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved