| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Healthcare Reform  (Read 4576 times)

Offline kali

• Top 100 Poster!
Healthcare Reform
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:58:03 AM »
I must confess I haven't kept up with the latest in healthcare reform.  Am I right in assuming that donating a kidney is not considered a pre-existing condition now?  Can we get insurance without any problems?

If so, then should we be making sure our congressmen and women know that's a good thing and that it shouldn't be changed back?  Should we be marching somewhere?

Right now I am covered under my husband's insurance.  If something were to happen in the future and this were to change, would it be difficult to get insurance?  I have two kids to raise and want to make sure that my voice is heard now if necessary.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Kali
Donated to husband last June

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Healthcare Reform
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:36:13 PM »
I would say as long as you haven't had any complications from donation, kidney donation (that is, having one kidney) should not be considered a pre-existing condition that makes the donor uninsurable. But we don't have the force of law behind us, just the understanding of health insurance underwriters.

The health care reform law outlawed pre-existing condition exclusions for children under age 19. That rule generally took effect at the beginning of this year. The provision outlawing pre-existing condition exclusions for everyone, including adults, doesn't take effect until 2014. Whether that rule (and many other aspects of the reform law) actually takes effect will likely depend on the outcome of next year's elections.

Whether getting insurance will be an issue depends on a lot of factors (your general health, individual vs. group insurance, health of other covered family members, etc.), so it's difficult to generalize. My experience is that kidney donation for the most part has NOT been a barrier to getting medical insurance. If it happens, let us know, and we'll do what we can to act as your advocate.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:16:09 AM »
The social worker I talked with pre-donation said they key is to not have a lapse and become uninsured.  If you stay insured and move policies you should never have an issue.  When you have a gap and become uninsured for a period there could be risk...but hopefully kidney donation would not be a barrier! 
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:08:03 PM »
So much depends on your insurance policy.  In my state, a pre-existing condition can only be excluded from coverage for two years, regardless of the new Health Care law.  Any issues after that are covered.  You would still be covered if you had a cold or other issues. 

Typically, you can only be denied coverage if you chose to purchase a private insurance company.  If you have employer based coverage, you should be ok as long as you do not have a gap. 

My conservative state has already created a high risk insurance pool that I could utilize if I were to lose my job, be denied affordable coverage and had complications from my donation.  The plan is very reasonable and my recipient husband would automatically qualify if he was not still under medicare.

Also, it depends on the application.  I filled out a life insurance application prior to my donation that did not ask any questions that would reveal that I only had one kidney or surgery outside a certain time frame.

Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional