| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Can I take Ibuprofen short term for dental inflammation?  (Read 6699 times)

Offline Eldonna Edwards

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Eldonna Edwards, Author/Speaker
Can I take Ibuprofen short term for dental inflammation?
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »
My kidney donation was 16 months ago and I had dental work this week that has caused inflammation. If the inflammation doesn't settle down it might mean a root canal, but I have been so warned off nsaids that I'm conflicted. If i drink a ton of water with the ibu would it be okay in the short term (a couple days)?
Author of Lost in Transplantation: Memoir of an Unconventional Organ Donor

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Can I take Ibuprofen short term for dental inflammation?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »
I would check with your transplant coordinator. But I was told I may take nsaids just not in high volume and I just donated 6 weeks ago. My surgeon said no more than 800 mg/day of ibuprofen and I will be okay.

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
I second the above post, check with your center. But, mine said even though they tell me 'no nsaids from now on,' an occasional ibuprofen here or there would be harmless. I would definitely run it by your team before taking any if possible.

Offline Eldonna Edwards

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »
Thank you. I called and they said ibu or motrin but not advil because it stays in your system longer, and no more than 3 days at minimum dosage. Love this forum.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:06:55 AM »
I know your question is answered... :) but when I was in the hospital they gave me IV Toradol (which is an NSAID) rather than narcotics (I didn't have much pain). My sister, who is a nurse, asked why I could have Toradol when they warn so much about NSAIDS, and my surgeon said it was because with the IV fluids, I was so hydrated that there was little risk.

Good to know that I can still take an Ibuprofen here and there. I don't take it often but it certainly works better than Tylenol.

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »
Advil is ibuprofen so I'm confused why they said that? Advil is just the trade name as is Motrin. The drug is ibuprofen.

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »
The difference between generic and brand, and different brands of the same OTC meds, is the way the active ingredient is bonded and delivered.  I've never looked at the different brands of ibuprofen, but perhaps Advil is more of a timed delivery than they other compounds.
audrey

Offline Eldonna Edwards

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »
I think it had to do with the half-life of the particular brand.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional