| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Another new member  (Read 3993 times)

Offline mritim

• Conversationalist
Another new member
« on: July 24, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »
Thanks to everyone who participates on this forum. I've enjoyed perusing the posts and appreciate everyone's helpful comments.

I am in the process of donating a kidney to my younger brother. I have gone through all of the testing phases and have checked out quite well. The nephrologist told me I was the healthiest potential donor he had seen in years! Thankful for that!

I am a 46 year old male with a great health history. One previous surgery for inguinal hernia.

The only thing in my testing that came out a little off is my liver function. I am told that my bilirubin numbers are high. Was retested yesterday and the numbers are still high. The transplant team will review this information when they get together in a few days.

My question is this: has anyone here been turned away or know of someone who has been denied the opportunity to donate with increased bilirubin? Curious, and getting a little antsy. We're looking at late August tentatively for the surgery as long as he and I check out ok.

Thanks in advance.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Another new member
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
Any abnormal blood test result should be reviewed. You may also want to check with your family doctor and get their input on donation surgery. You can also look at previous blood tests to see if the bilirubin has been elevated before. Some people have a slightly higher bilirubin and it is caused by a condition known as Gilbert's syndrome (here is a link  at the bottom with the explanation). I am not a physician so I can't diagnose. I also used to have a higher than normal bilirubin on some blood tests. One of my brothers also said it happens to him also. They may repeat the blood work a couple of times just to be sure there isn't anything wrong with your liver.

Let us know how it goes and good luck with the continued testing.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/176822-overview or just google Gilbert's or hyperbilirubinemia

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline mritim

• Conversationalist
Re: Another new member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
Thanks Sherri.

I've talked about Gilbert's Syndrome with the nephrologist, and have done some research online. The elevated bilirubin is the only indication that anything is amiss. I've had no jaundice.

Just curious if anyone has been denied the opportunity to donate with elevated bilirubin levels?

Thanks

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional