| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Any last minute advice before my surgery Sept 5?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Any last minute advice before my surgery Sept 5?
« on: September 03, 2012, 05:46:19 PM »
I should have asked sooner but is there anything I should do or bring or whatever for my surgery?  My wife-an RN- will be with me and has taken off two weeks to make sure I behave. 

Offline tjhurley

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Any last minute advice before my surgery Sept 5?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »
Sleep pants or pajama bottoms- when you put them on you will begin to feel like you are on the road to
recovery:) best of luck to you, Janet

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:31:36 AM »
Dear Giants,

earplugs.  nurses can be very noisy :-)

love, elephant

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »
Yes, earplugs for sure (night shift change is very loud!)  Also a light robe for hallway walks, the gowns don't leave much to the imagination, especially on your backside!  Slippers or flip-flops for walking.  Your first shower will be delightful so bring anything you would like to have for that.  They didn't even have shampoo for me to use, just lousy bar soap.  My friend brought me a lovely basket of soaps and lotions and it was SO nice to have that.

Good luck!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:24:27 PM »
Your own pillow if you have a favorite.  Throat lozenges if you have a sore throat from the trac tube,  again, very loose underwear and sleep bottoms.  Maybe a fan to keep the air moving in your room.  I got very warm in bed even though the room was cool.

Hydrate really well these last days, eat very light.  Clear soups, broth, no salads or roughage, they take too long to digest.  Ask about the scolapene? patch for behind your ear for nausea, I wish I had had it.  I had a lot of nausea after the surgery and wish I had known about it.  Had if for another surgery 6 months later and I felt great after that one.

Get up and walk as soon as possible and often to move the gas out of your system.  Don't wait for them to get you up, page them and tell them you are ready as often as possible.

Best wishes, and see you on the other side of donation.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline kmheiges

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:48:39 AM »
I haven't donated (yet), so no advice, but good luck tomorrow!!!!! :) I hope everything goes perfect.

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 12:50:53 AM »
Thanks all.  In God's good hands   :)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 01:53:53 AM »
      Larger size shoes, underwear and clothing for the trip home (bloating can make your regular sizes unusable for a bit.)
               Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional