| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: September 2012 Anniversaries  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
September 2012 Anniversaries
« on: September 01, 2012, 09:37:11 AM »
Whether you're affected by the academic calendar or not, all over the world, this month is a time of change.  The equinox marks a change of season, and the paces of our lives shift in response.  For many, change is welcome, but even welcome change is perceived through a veil of past memories.  Joys and sorrows, accomplishments, attempts, and opportunities foregone or only recognized in retrospect, all live within us, helping or hindering as we consider each new day, month, season, year.  We here remember our particular milestones amid our diverse lives.  Best wishes, all, for joy to come.

Twenty-first anniversary:
Lee donated a kidney to his father on September 11th, 1991

Nineteenth anniversary:
Rory Eckmann donated part of his liver to his niece, Megan, on September 7th, 1993

Twelfth anniversary:
Cindy Leuty Jones donated a kidney to her brother on September 20th, 2000

Eleventh anniversary:
Christine donated a kidney to a stranger on September 13th, 2001
Suzanne Hunter donated a kidney to her son, Ian, on September 17th, 2001. The graft failed four years later and Ian has been back on dialysis.
Marcia Pitlor donated a kidney to her brother on September 18th, 2001
Irene Lewis donated a kidney to her husband's ex's daughter on September 19th, 2001

Tenth anniversary:
The Reverend Ronda L. Hawkins donated a kidney to one of her parishioners on September 4th, 2002
Brandi Wittman donated a kidney to a co-worker on September 25th, 2002
Wendy Miller donated a kidney to her sister on September 25th, 2002
Joe Zangara donated a kidney to his mother, Audrey, on September 30th, 2002

Ninth anniversary:
Howard donated a kidney to his brother on September 3rd, 2003
Beth Wilson donated a kidney to her mother, Lola, on September 16th, 2003
Clay donated a kidney to a stranger on September 26th, 2003

Eighth anniversary:
Joyce A. Falsey donated a kidney to a stranger on September 7th, 2004
Emalene Englestad donated a kidney to her sister-in-law on September 9th, 2004
Nancy Foster donated part of her liver to her brother on September 13th, 2004
Debbie Petway donated a kidney to her father, Melvin, on September 21st, 2004
Shelby Humberg Richardson donated a kidney to her brother on September 22nd, 2004

Seventh anniversary:
Chaya Lipschutz donated a kidney to a stranger in September 2005
Cindy Fox donated part of her liver to her husband, Victor, on September 1st, 2005
Jenn donated a kidney to her brother on September 20th, 2005
Lisa Branting donated a kidney to her best friend's husband on September 25th, 2005
Suzanne Weiner donated a kidney to a friend on September 26th, 2005
Lillie donated a kidney to an unrelated recipient on September 27th, 2005
Rose Crawford donated a kidney to her brother on September 30th, 2005

Sixth anniversary:
Janice Kost donated a kidney to her nephew on September 5th, 2006
Christina Rodrigues donated a kidney to her stepfather on September 6th, 2006
Kelvin Hockstock donated a kidney to his wife on September 8th, 2006
Malkah Buchweitz donated a kidney to her brother on September 28th, 2006

Fifth anniversary:
Kimberly Hill donated a kidney to her brother, Tim Edgar, on September 5th, 2007
Kim Alice donated a kidney to her stepfather on September 12th, 2007
Ray Vidic donated a kidney to his friend, Troy Kahklen, on September 13th, 2007
Stacey Canas donated a kidney to her best friend's mom on September 13th, 2007
Gabrielle Benson donated a kidney to her husband on September 24th, 2007

Fourth anniversary:
Ailey donated a kidney to a church associate on September 16th, 2008
Carmen Spanglers donated a kidney to her friend's husband on September 22nd, 2008
Margaret Florence donated a kidney to her cousin on September 23rd, 2008
Jill Andahazy donated a kidney to her husband's cousin Katie on September 25th, 2008
Carla Giampaglia donated a kidney to an unrelated person on September 26th, 2008
Angi Kaltenbach donated a kidney to a friend on September 30th, 2008
Jeff Hill donated a kidney to Eric Miller on September 30th, 2008
Tammy Stickney donated a kidney to her father on September 30th, 2008

Third anniversary:
Cathleen Aliberti donated part of her liver to her sister, Maureen Manning, on September 9th, 2009
Terri O'Brien donated her left kidney to her cousin's wife on September 29th, 2009

Second anniversary:
Julie Coronel donated a kidney to her husband, Ruben, on September 7th, 2010
Brett Hartmann donated a kidney to a friend's son on September 18th, 2010
Angela Stimpson became a non-directed kidney donor on September 22nd, 2010
Andria donated a kidney to her son, Daniel, on September 28th, 2010

First anniversary:
Tori Neese Bergstrom donated "Billy the Kidney" to her friend on September 6th, 2011
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
Re: September 2012 Anniversaries
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:59:07 PM »
Had a great anniversary by having lunch with my recipient.  Her is my Billy the Kidney post that I posted on Facebook today.

One Year in Review

One year ago today I was being prepped for surgery. About this time I was being wheeled toward the elevator when John ran up to tell me thank you. Our lives would never be the same.
I feel that it is my duty to be eloquent and poinient in this post. However, if you know me, you also know that I am neither of those things. I have tried to make light of the situation over this past year because I feel that what I did was not all on me. Eric, Rebecca and our children all deserve admiration for supporting us during this time. I am sure that it was not easy to have to tend to the two of us while holding down the fort. Thank you both.
 As the months have gone by I have thought less and less about the events of September 6, 2011. Many days not thinking about it at all. As the end of Summer has been nearing it has all come flooding back. The support of everyone for the fundraiser was amazing. I still cannot believe that it came together with such success on such short notice. All of the wonderful dinners delivered to our house for well over a month. In fact, Eric asked Joy B. the other day if the donation had had any effect on her. Her reply, "Not really. I just remember all of the really great food that we got to try."
 In May I ran the Ogden Marathon. I looked at it as a way to get into shape, but it was much more. My doctor had told me that it would take at least a year to get back to running that kind of distance. I was slow, but I finished. I think I cried for the last six miles. Partly from exhaustion and partly because I was doing it. The last mile Eric met up with me and ran into for the finish. Seeing him and the support that he was giving me overwhelmed me with emotion. Eric has supported me so much during this past year and I will never be able to thank him enough. He really is the unsung hero in this story.
 Over the Summer the Maws did all of the things that they were unable to do last Summer and the Bergstroms, as always, over committed themselves. We were unable to get together even one evening with the Maws, but we were thrilled that they were out and about and not tied to a dialysis machine.
On August 25, 2012 my name was added to the donor wall at the Salt Lake Library. The wall was first unveiled last year with over 4,000 names. My mother-in-law was the one that brought its existance to my attention. I filled out the paperwork and had myself added (Rebecca notarized it for free :) ).
I wasn't sure if what I was doing was self congratulatory, so I was a little hesitant to tell anyone about it. I was even on the fence about the importance of attending the unveiling ceremony. Thankfully, Eric emailed the Maws so that we could be there together. I was happy that my sister Ali and John's parents; Gwen and John Sr., were also able to be there.
 I had imagined that the event would be maybe twelve or so donors like myself in a very small ceremony. In fact there were over 500 people in attendance. The guest speaker (the wife of one of Eric's co-workers) opened my eyes to what being a "donor" usually means. Her now two year old son was born with a heart defect. At two months they planned to send him home from the hospital so that he could die surrounded by family. The next day they received word that a three year old girl had died in an accident and he would be getting a new heart. This little boy's life was saved by the ultimate sacrifice by this three year old little girl. This little hero saved or improved nine lives. Her family was in attendance and it was a very emotional experience.
 I stood there with Gwen Maw listening to this story and realized very quickly that mine and John's story is not the norm. As far as I know, I was the only living donor their that day. Most people in attendance were there mourning the loss of a loved one and celebrating their sacrifice. This was by far the most humbling experience of this process. My "sacrifice" will never compare to what these families have gone through. Hold your family little closer tonight and let them know how much you love them. Take this time to make a call to family you don't see often and send love to them.
 Ours is a win/win scenerio. John got a healthy kidney and I received a special place in my heart that will always be filled with light and love. I feel that it is my duty to spread that light and love around. The world can seem like a scary cold place sometimes. Remember that deep down most people have this spark just waiting for their moment to shine.
I like to think that I have made my Mom really proud. I am sending special love and thanks to all of you for making my heart happy. Please do at least one nice thing for someone today and make your heart happy too.

Sorry for the cheese, the occassion seemed to warrent it. Oh and I couldn't find the spellcheck in this program, so don't judge.
 Peace and Love,
 Tori
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
Re: September 2012 Anniversaries
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »
Clark,   Thanks.

Tori,   Your " Most people in attendance were there mourning the loss of a loved one and celebrating their sacrifice. This was by far the most humbling experience of this process. My 'sacrifice' will never compare to what these families have gone through. " reflects my feelings, too.  The parents of the 3 year old who died in an auto accident -- and who, in just the start of their inconsolable grief, quickly made the decision to donate her organs -- I feel that they were heroic, not I.

Thank you for your story, and for their story.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:06:22 PM by WilliamLFreeman »
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional