| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Anyone have to doa GFR study?  (Read 3767 times)

Offline pattydotty

• Top 200 Poster!
Anyone have to doa GFR study?
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:21:22 AM »
Hi All,
I was all set to tell the family of the person that I am donating that it was a go but did my last 24 hour urine and it was in the high 80's. first was 116. I had skied the day before, gotten a massage and had acupuncture on the day of (it was my birthday:=) and was coming down with something. Ended up with really bad sinus infection the next day and now on antibiotic

So, now to be sure they want to do this GFR study in Nuclear Medicine. Blood taking once and hour for four hours.

Anyone else have this? I am beginning to be discouraged. Probably because I feel so horribe at this moment. Would love feedback. Thanks, PattyDotty

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Anyone have to doa GFR study?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »
I had to do one of the same tests. I did not do the 24 hour, but the original one was kind of a quasi nuclear with x ray. It supposedly said I had "the kidneys of an 80 year old woman"! They knew that wasn't right, and this final test was supposed to be kind of the gold standard of kidney function tests. It came out fine. No big deal, just time consuming - bring a book.
 They put one of those shunt type things in your arm so you don't have to be stuck each time they take blood. They will inject a small amount of radioactive material, give you a small cup of  solution to drink that blocks the thyroid from taking up the radioactive material, and then call you in at regular intervals for the blood draw.

Good luck, and hope it turns out okay for you.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline sally

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 09:06:20 AM »
I had a similar test done. It was called Glo-fill, though. I had to do it 3 times.  They put an IV tube in my arm that they drew the blood from, like Orchid Lady said so they don't have to stick you each time.  Then they drew blood from it as a baseline. After that, they injected the radiation, then drew more blood at 5 minute intervals...5 minutes after injection, then 10, then 15 minutes. After that, I was able to leave, and I had to come back 3 hours later.  Then they did half hour intervals, the first one when I got back, then 30 minutes later, and then one hour after the first.  I was told that the 3 hour interval could be longer, but its based on BMI.  Overall it wasn't too bad.

Offline pattydotty

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:04:14 PM »
Thank you both for your responses. Were you both able to donate?

Offline sally

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 01:22:49 PM »
I have been approved as a donor, but surgery date keeps getting bumped due to complications with the recipient.   I started testing May 2012, so its been kind of a long process, but I'm looking forward to seeing it through. It will be well worth it!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional