| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Any Donors With Clinical Depression?  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Seraphim82

• My first post!
Any Donors With Clinical Depression?
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:09:49 PM »
I'm considering becoming a living donor. However, I do have significant clinical depression that has been in remission for the last year. I know that some donors experience depressive episodes after donating, and I was wondering if anyone here suffered a relapse or increased symptoms as a result of this experience. I'm wondering if it's safe to donate with my condition or not. Of course I'm going to talk to my psychiatrist about this, but it would help to hear other people's experiences.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Any Donors With Clinical Depression?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 02:38:51 AM »
     I did not myself have any problem with depression, but I just wanted to note that depression is a possible after-effect not only of donation surgery but of ANY major surgery. I believe the doctors suspect that the trauma of surgery, the anesthetics/drugs used, or the very experience of being hospitalized might all have some effects. So it would be very important to consult carefully before you decide.
  best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:08:53 PM »
I actually took part in a research project before and after my donation.  The study was in regards to depression after organ donation surgery.  They told me some people can go on an emotional high after a donation (probably because they feel good about what they did and are receiving a lot of attention).  This can be followed by depression (probably a result of the shock to the body, medications, staying in the hospital, worrying about complications and decrease in the amount of attention).  Personally, I didn't go through an emotional high and I didn't think at the time I went through a depression.  But looking back, I was very frustrated following the surgery.  I initially had some minor complications.  Also, I am a very active individual and was very frustrated by my inability to do what I was used to doing as well as I found the fatigue that follows the surgery was frustrating for me.  Was I depressed, maybe mild depression but nothing too bad.  But if you have a history or are predisposed to depression, it would be a good idea to be open about it with the coordinators.  Also, post surgery, it would be a good idea to proactively treat depression if you feel depressed.  Good luck.

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:51:07 PM »
There have been a couple of donors that did have depression after donation that never had any before, so, there could be a chemical imbalance issue that you might need to address.  This could be very serious in your case, so be sure to address this with the surgical team.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline sloaner1982

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 03:07:41 AM »
I had suffered depression from the year 2000- early 2002.  Did very well after that time period. I donated Feb 2010 and have now been in constant counseling since 2011. It has been a three year battle to get well again emotionally. After my donation, I suffer from and am diagnosed with depression, PTSD, anxiety, insomnia. ( these are just the emotional parts that went wrong for me) I am not even touching on the physical. That is a whole other story. After what I am going through, I would not think it is a good idea to become a living donor with a history of depression. I did not hide my past depression from my transplant team, they still approved me. So, you may be approved as well, even with your history. 

Offline kathjaz

• Conversationalist
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 08:08:44 PM »
I've experienced bouts of depression throughout my life, so that was a major consideration when I was considering donating. Before I donated I had a long talk with my psychiatrist, my psychologist, and the psychiatrist at the hospital where I donated. Since I had been quite stable for a long time, having experienced no recent major depressive episodes, and also was taking my meds regularly, everyone thought I would be okay--and I was. You do need to be prepared for the possibility that medically things can take a turn for the worse after donation/transplant which happened with my recipient. Her death was a lot to deal with emotionally, but I experienced what I would call a natural grieving process and not a return to the dark clouds of depression.

Kathryn
Kathryn
Liver lobe donor, December 18, 2003

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 09:33:19 AM »
Many insurances offer free counseling sessions, so check into that.  It is a stressful "event", so if you are prone to depression,  I would suggest preparing activates way ahead of time to help you stay above it.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional