| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Menstrual cramps  (Read 8324 times)

Offline Linda

• Top 100 Poster!
Menstrual cramps
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:24:45 AM »
Has anyone else had MUCh worse cramps post-surgery?  I have had a crampy feeling to the left of my bikini line incision since I donated.  With my period this month (4 weeks post surgery) I had very very painful cramping in that area.

My cycle was also only 19 days instead of 30 which is normal for me.   

Any experience with period changes?  The cramping felt worse than the surgical pain and I was in bed for 2 days. 
donated kidney to dear friend Oct. 2011

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Menstrual cramps
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
 My cycle was thrown off, both before and after surgery. It has Normalized after four months.

My pelvic area felt like crampy for several weeks after the surgery. I saw my doctor and she felt it was nerve regrowth. I actually did not have a period for six weeks after the surgery.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:46:05 AM »
Three months post surgery I have been having pretty severe menstral cramps.  I never really had them before.  My period is also a lot heavier.  However, I am not that far out and may not have stabalized yet.
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst after My last post.   It most likely occurred from stopping hormonal contraception and caused frequent bleeding.  I started back on birth control to try to stabilize everything. 

Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

msmom

I am 52 and had my last period 6+ months ago
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
I am actually just one week post transplant and everything else feels fine - no trouble symptoms at all.  Just what feels like really severe menstrual cramps on my left side.  The left kidney was donated.  I never really had cramps when I had periods so this is weird!

When I asked the transplant coordinator what could be going on she said the surgeon said that the ovarian artery may have been displaced or nudged during the procedure and is now enflamed.  Tylenol does not help the pain at all because she says what I need is an anti inflammatory - ibuprofen or aspirin, neither of which I can take!

A hot pad in my lap does provide some relief.  Hoping this is something that will resolve with time!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:09:50 PM »
     It might be wise to double-check what medications you can or cannot take. There are some medications that kidney donors are recommended to not take in large doses or for extended periods of time. But some donors have reported that their doctors saw no difficulty if taken in regular doses and only for a restricted time. Some doctors seem more inclined to recommend that such medications NEVER be taken by a kidney donor, while others allow limited temporary use.
   best wishes,
      Fr. Pat

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »
My cycle was also thrown off after surgery.  Didn't have a period for about 6-7 weeks and I feel it is heavier now than it was prior to surgery.  Can't say the cramps are worse now necessarily, because mine have always been pretty bad.  I do think my period being heavier could also be due to the fact that I got off of birth control for the surgery and just haven't gotten back on it.....not sure if it is that or surgery, but whatever it is---it is no fun!   :-\  However, knowing how well my recipient is doing and feeling makes it all worth it!  And the heating pad helps me too.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional