| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: How is your immune system post donation?  (Read 6746 times)

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
How is your immune system post donation?
« on: September 05, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »
Since my donation only 4 months ago, I have gotten very ill twice.  It is so unlike me to be knocked down by a cold.  Usually, my family passes the cold around and I catch only a mild case.  In July (2.5 months post donation), I had severe tonsillitis while no one else in my household was sick.  Now, I have been battling a cold for a week and a half that just doesn't want to give up!  Everyone else in my household had a touch of it, but I have had the worst symptoms by far. 

I don't know if there is a corrolation, but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has noticed a greater susceptibility to germs after donation.

Mom says I need vitamins.  She's probably right.   
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: How is your immune system post donation?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
Well sorry to hear you have had a few bouts with illness. :-[ 

I do and have for a long time taken vitamins and other supplements.  I take several antioxidents a day, AM and PM.  Dark chocolate is a powerful antioxident.  I havn't been ill once since donation about a year and a half ago and I am with the public and small children daily. 

I also exercise daily for 1 hour, that will also boost your immune system. 

A good healthy diet heavy in fresh veggies and fruit, lean red meat, chicken and fish.  No fried foods, low carbs, limit soda and artifical sweeteners.  Stevia in the raw is ok in place of sugar.

These are just everyday things to live by.  Take care of yourself and hope you are feeling ok now.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:33:36 AM »
Thank you, Dodger.  Great advice for anyone.  I eat my veggies and exercise a few times a week, but as a busy mom, I could definitely take better care of myself.
Stephanie

Offline kali

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
I've been pretty healthy post donation.  I do get the flu shot every year also, just in case. 

Dodger - what do you think of aspartame?  I just googled it and found a lot of horrible things.  I use it in coffee (one cup) every morning.  I also limit dark colas but will drink a clear diet soda when I'm feeling like a splurge.  Is this bad too?

Offline Kidney Bean

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »
Miss Frizz,
I think the vitamins are a good idea, as is exercise. Another important thing is sleep! It gives you a chance to heal. I know it's hard trying to squeeze in enough sleep, but you need it! Try to make an extra effort to get a little more than usual. Hope you feel better soon!

-Annie

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »
Dear kali,

I am certain, based on my personal experience, the advice of neurologists at Beth Israel in Boston, and my local physicians that aspartame is damaging.  I think it's addictive as well, since people seem to have a very hard time stopping using it.

Why don't you try stevia in your morning coffee and switch to naturally flavored seltzer water for a cold treat. 

Aspartame appears in a lot of food, nutritional and even medical products, like cough syrup.  Anything "low-calorie" or "sugar-free" gets a very careful label reading.   

Love, elephant

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »
At 4 months out, while you may feel normal, your body may still be recovering from major surgery. Are you getting run down or stressed? That could make the difference that pushes you over the edge where you do catch a virus a little easier. Vitamins are good - and lobby with your family for some "me time" for a relaxing spa day and massage!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 08:35:47 AM »
Unfortunately, I do not have many opportunities for rest at this season of my life.  But I do eat right and exercise, although not as much as I would like.
Stephanie

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »
Thanks, everyone!  I have got to take better care of myself!  And I will get the flu shot this year, too.

Anyone have any vitamin recommendations? 
Stephanie

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 12:00:38 AM »
Ask a pharmasicst what they would recommend.  Explain what you did how you need some guidence on selection.  They know what they sell.  My hubby was recommended by his eye doctor to use the occular vitamins that you take twice a day. 
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved