| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: passed all test - how long results good for?  (Read 6352 times)

Offline sgrant1158

• Top 200 Poster!
passed all test - how long results good for?
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:27:35 PM »
Hi everyone

I passed all my test to donate to my brother. He plans on meeting his doctor in Oct. and then set a date for the transplant in Jan 13 sometime.

My question is what if my brother wants to wait. How long do my test results are ok, before I have to go thru another around of testing?

Just curious

thanks

Steven grant

Offline tjhurley

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: passed all test - how long results good for?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »
Hi Steven, the answer will vary depending upon the tests needed- older donors have additional testing. Your coordinator should be able to give the best answer as it may vary from one center to another. Sorry I am not more help. I know that several of my tests were okay if they had been done in the last year. Best, Janet

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 01:23:22 AM »
     The "final cross-match" (in which portions of your and your brother's blood are actually mixed to see if there is a bad reaction) will almost always be done again right before the surgery regardless of the date or delay (to make sure he has not developed any new anti-bodies since the last test.) Tests to make sure you have no infectious diseases that might be passed on along with the organ are often repeated if there has been a delay. Regarding other tests there seems to be a variety of practices among different hospitals.
     Fr. Pat

Offline willow123

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »
my husband is participating in another round of paired exchanges and his tests were done a year ago.  So I think you're basically good until right before the donation when they do the final tests

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 10:14:16 AM »
Hi Steven,
Why does your brother want to wait?   Will this be a pre-emptive transplant, one that is done before the patient is on dialysis? 
My brother kept saying that he wanted to wait until it was absolutely necessary.  His surgeon said this,  "You are standing on the edge of a cliff.  Could you get closer to the edge before you fall?  Probably.  But we don't know how much closer you can get before you fall.  If you fall off the cliff, it will be a lot of work to get you back up here, well enough to have surgery."
We had our surgery on Dec 14 last year.  Christmas Eve, he was eating prime rib, mashed potatoes, and all kinds of fresh fruits and vegetables that were restricted prior to surgery.
Patients do well when the transplant occurs before dialysis is in place.
Good luck to you and your brother!
Jatopa

Offline Leah

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »
The hospital I'm going through says the tests are good for a year. I was supposed to donate last year but there was some issues. My coordinator informed me that non of my tests are good anymore and I have to redo all the procedures before I can get re-approved for surgery.

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:58:31 PM »
Steven,

I think much depends on the facility.  I am approaching 9 months from the time I did the first round of tests.  In my particular case the facility is UAB and I shamelessly have to say they ROCK!  Early on UAB sent me requests for blood work about every 2 or 3 months.  I already got admitted to do the surgery and it was cancelled at the last minute due to concern for my uncle who is receiving the kidney.  Right before that admission I got a request to do additional blood work about twice in a 4 week period and it was repeated again at the hospital with some additional blood work tests.  And, now that we were just cleared again, I have done the 2 cross-match tests within a month's timeframe with the understanding that another will be done when I go in for surgery.

The interesting part though is that they had me repeat almost all of the initial round of blood work tests since it has been so long since they were performed.  They told me last month that they wanted to do those tests again within 2 weeks of surgery so they could get last minute confirmation of no hepatitis, hiv negative, and most of the other early on tests.  They will repeat the blood work tests for the cross-match and many other items when I get admitted for donor surgery to be performed on the 18th.

Although you did not ask about the following I just want to mention/share a few things that I have learned about my journey which may be helpful:

First, I thought I was a patient person; however, this journey has taught me so much about patience on things that I can't control.  We have had a lot of obstacles, delays, and even got within hours of transplant surgery before it was cancelled.  And, although I have surgery planned for the 18th, I am going in with the understanding that issues outside of our control could again delay surgery. 

Second, I did not give a second thought about donating since I knew it was the right thing to do.  However, I was being a bit stupid that I didn't really even think about getting input and second opinions on tests and other issues from my own doctor.  I am so lucky that that did not backfire on me. 

Third, YOU need to take responsibility for getting as much information as possible and staying informed.  Finding information that is reliable is difficult and since everyone is unique then you have to filter through a lot of literature and advice to apply it to your situation.  For example, I would never have thought about validating my life insurance policy would not be impacted or about possibly being uninsurable post-surgery. You have to take care of yourself!

I can only hope you ultimately find the experience as beneficial and rewarding as I have.  Almost every day I give a prayer of thanks for what my uncle's situation has brought me.  I have a new perspective on things and it has forced me to acknowledge that I was not making wise choices in my life , resulting in being pre-diabetic, pre-hypertensive, stressed out all the time, and overweight.  It is ironic that my Uncle is thanking me for "saving his life" and I am thanking him for saving mine.

Warmest Regards,

Scott
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline sgrant1158

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:06:04 AM »
you guys and gals are the best

thanks for all the answers..

My brother wants to wait till the last minute and so doesn't his doctor. strange.........

wanted to donate in Jan 13 , but his doctor things he can wait another 6 or more months.

His GFR is at 16 at this point has been as low as 9

thanks again and wish both me and my brother good luck

Steven grant

Offline flacapt

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »
Morning Steven

I am post donation 2 weeks. All went well at Jacksonville, Fl MAYO. Awesome Surgeon and staff.

Our donation is for my b-n-law and he is up and running. It is so great seeing him smiling again.

He and I have been down the same road you are going down. It took him 18 months to pull the trigger.

The only test I had to redo was my blood and heart. EKG,Chest x-ray,stress.

I will always be avalabile if you need someone to talk with

GOD BLESS!!
Marc
Donor 10/12 B-N-Law Mayo Clininc, Jax, Fl.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional