| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Hi, new here  (Read 4495 times)

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
Hi, new here
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »
Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself.  My father is 71 and has been on the transplant list for 3 years and he has been on dialysis.  He initially said that he did not want a living donor, but as time goes on and his health becomes more complicated, I am more and more compelled to help him.  I am just beginning the process of figuring out what the right thing to do is.  I am waiting for a return phone call from a donor coordinator to answer my questions.  I'm learning alot by reading your posts here.  Any further advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Miss 
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Hi, new here
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 08:42:31 PM »
So, I got the return call from the coordinator and I'm expecting a packet in the mail full of instructions, information, and my first Rx for the initial screening tests.  The good news is that my father's insurance covers all of it, but they do not notify him that I am being screened.  I just don't want him to know in case I'm not a match.
Stephanie

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 10:35:56 PM »
Good luck with everything!  I also have little kids, but not quite that little.  They are 9, 7, and 5.  I am donating on Tuesday.  The good thing is that they will all be in school.
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:44:53 AM »
Dear "Miss",
     Hi. If it turns out that you are a suitable donor healthwise, but are not a match for your dad, you may also (if you wish) offer to take part in a "swap" in which you give your kidney to someone else in the same situation, and that person's incompatible donor gives to your dad. Such swaps can be arranged at www.paireddonation.org or www.kidneyregistry.org
     Another option (again, if you are healthy enough to donate but are not a match for your dad) is a "list exchange" in which you give your kidney to whoever the hospital picks as the best match from the waiting list, and in return you dad is moved up to the top (or close to the top) of the waiting list for the next available matching kidney from a deceased donor. This is usually quicker than a "swap", since finding two pairs is not required.
     SOME hospitals will not suggest these options unless you ask about them, for fear of pressuring you, so you might have to take the initiate to ask about them and say you are willing.
     Even if it turns out that you cannot donate to your dad, you might want to consider telling him anyway. It can mean a LOT to a person just knowing that someone cared enough to even offer and be tested.
         best wishes,
            Fr. Pat

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:02:10 AM »
Bergstromtori - Good luck to you on Tuesday.  I am looking forward to reading your posts during your recovery.  Are you nervous?

Fr. Pat - I had no idea.  Thank you for the information. 
Stephanie

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved