| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Crossmatch Results are back  (Read 4982 times)

Debra

Crossmatch Results are back
« on: August 31, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »
Well very disappointing :(  The 5yr old I want to donate to has one antibody that is moderately reactive to one of my antigens, and one antibody that is mildly reactive.  The doctors decided it would not be useful to desensitize him.  They also said it does not work as well in someone so young.

We will be enrolled in the National Kidney Registry Program for living donation and the Kidney Pairing Exchange Program.  I hope we can find him a kidney through the generosity of others who are in these programs, and I hope we can do it quickly.  I have been to the National Kidney Registry website and I am hopeful.   

I will have a CT scan done next week to determine kidney anatomy ( especially since there are supposed to be 3 kidneys inside me ).  We will see.  All I hope is that there are at least 2 good kidneys so I can participate in the exchange program and help someone else ...so that someone else can help this little guy with their kidney donation since I can't.  I will focus on the fact that my kidney donation will help someone else and in return my goal will still be met...the little one will get his kidney.

I appreciate so much what I have learned from this website and all of you who post.  It is really wonderful what you do passing on your experience and insights.

Thanks so much!

mxprincess

Re: Crossmatch Results are back
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:37:27 AM »
Awe, I am so sorry....I hope that that little boy is able to find a match very soon. Please keep us updated on him.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:08:33 PM »
I know it is a huge disappointment, but I am sure his doctors can find a great kidney to trade for! 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:26:03 PM »
The important thing Debra, is your continuing on in the paired exchange program if you're willing.  This little one still has a chance if the proper match can be found.  Thank you sooooo much for your willingness to give such a special gift to someone.  God Bless you and prayers for both your and this little one in need.

Scott    8)
Scott

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:21:50 PM »
Paired exchange is a wonderful thing! I wouldn't look at this as a disapointment, just one more step in your transplant journey.

Our matches were found within 2 weeks after my husband and I were entered into the paired exchange database. We were part of a 10-person, 4-transplant center chain. My kidney flew to Pennsylvania from California over night to be transplanted into a complete stranger, while my husband's anonymous donor was in the OR next to him.

Best wishes,
Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »
I know you feel disappointed and I understand that, but I agree with Kara.  Imagine how many more people might be able to get transplants through a chain just because of your generosity to help someone.  You could be the one that kicks the chain off!  Praying all goes well, that you have two good kidneys so you can move forward, and that this little boy is able to get a kidney because of your kindness!
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved