| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Allergies  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
Allergies
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:22:24 AM »
Hello - I have been stricken with a sudden bout of late summer allergies.  Nose is running like a faucet, eyes watering and I can't stop sneezing...UGH!  I wanted to see what you might know about allergy medicine for us single kidney folk.  I don't see any allergy meds on the list of medicine not to take that I received from the hospital.  My sister (transplant recipient) was told Zyrtec was the best thing for her to take.  I would think if safe for her, it should be safe for me?

Thanks - appreciate any feedback!

Hope everyone has a wonderful long weekend!

Julie

Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Allergies
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:27:17 PM »
I sympathize with you, Julie! Hubby and I are both suffering this time of year - and I really didn't think it would bother him with all the immunosuppressants!

We both use Claritin (which center said was acceptable for both of us) along with a corticosteroid nasal spray (Nasonex for me, Flonase for him). He was told to avoid, and I also avoid, anything with the "D" (for decongenstant) in it. With hubby, the concern is it will raise blood pressure. For me, I just don't like the jittery feeling and am concerned about dehydration. As well, while I don't have high blood pressure, I still don't want to take anything that will raise it - HBP is neck and neck with diabetes as the number one cause of kidney failure so I would rather not chance it.

Good luck, and hope you get things under control before the holiday weekend!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Allergies
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
Thanks Orchidlady...I agree in staying away from anything that could cause high blood pressure.

I wanted to pass on what I heard from the nephrologist, I placed a call to the transplant center this morning.  He said Zyrtec was fine, and to avoid sudafed as it can raise blood pressure. I am glad to hear this because I now have immediate relief.

Happy Labor Day!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved