| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Jumping for Joy!  (Read 5388 times)

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
Jumping for Joy!
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »
Happy 8 Week Anniversary to me and my sister!  My surgeon told me to wait 8 weeks before getting back to running...so early this morning I went out for my first post-op run (ok...barely a jog) and it felt great - I think mentally as much as physically.  I have been walking briskly for awhile now so my legs felt strong...aerobically was tough, but I am hoping to snap back quickly.  I ran a half marathon 2 weeks before surgery so was in good shape going in.

I am so grateful for my health, and especially my sisters health.  I can hear her beaming every time I talk to her on the phone. I just felt the urge to "shout it out" and I thought this was the right group to appreciate how I am feeling.

All of you that are in the first days and weeks of recovery - hang in there!  It is amazing that when your insides finally get all un-jumbled and the extra air absorbs you really will feel back to normal. 

Wishing all of you a happy healthy weekend!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Jumping for Joy!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »
"Normal" is a great feeling, isn't it, Julie! Congratulations on your first run!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:02:42 PM »
Julie,

..., and even more so, I make a bet, is your feelings to hear your sister "beaming"!   :D

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:35:37 PM »
Julie,

I am so happy to hear that you and your Sister are doing so wonderful! It is amazing how once we have healed from the surgery, we feel so normal again. I still marvel at the fact that I cannot tell the difference between having one kidney or two. It is truly amazing what the human body is capable of.

Best Wishes to you and your Sister! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 07:42:44 PM »
Julie,

Great to hear you sounding so up-beat and feeling great.  The running is such a great and healing feeling isn't it.  Sounds like your sister is really making progress also (excellent news).  I hope you continue on your great road to "normalcy" and best wishes to you and your sister.   I hope you've checked out our facebook site for GRANDMA'S LDO RUNNERS reference the Grandma's Marathon half-marathon next summer.  Take care.

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:18:52 AM »
Scott - Yes, I am a "friend" of your FB page...your posts made me so excited to start up again!  I would love to participate in the LDO Grandma's half with this group but I am afraid it may be too long a journey from Seattle!  I will be training right along with you - I am hoping to get a race on my calender for next May/June.  I did a half marathon 2 weeks before my surgery and think it was so helpful, again, both mentally and physically.  Nothing like those long runs to think and become centered.  Now I need to get out for my 2nd run - I can't believe how sore I was after the first, even with all the walking I did!  How soon our body forgets!

Thanks to all for all the encouraging remarks...
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:23:14 PM »
I know, we'll run with laptops with aircards and skype while we are running and it will be like you're here running with us.  LOL   Just kidding of course.  Happy running and good health my friend.

Scott    8)
Scott

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:30:34 PM »
I would totally run it on a treadmill via skype and I am not kidding.
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 07:31:27 PM »
now there's an idea.  I wonder what the longest run on a treadmill is.....
 8)

Scott

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional