| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: GloFil ordered after CT scan  (Read 5453 times)

Offline superbowlbrowns

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
GloFil ordered after CT scan
« on: December 29, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »
I am (hopefully) donating a kidney to my nephew in the next 6-8 weeks.  The blood work that I've had done indicates that I'm a good match- which was a huge relief for my family.  I went down to the hospital last week and had all of my testing done over the course of two days.  I received a call from somebody at the front desk saying that one of my kidneys was "putting out a lot more" than the other one and that they need me to have a GloFil test completed to make sure that my donated kidney will be functioning well enough for my nephew.  I've never had any health problems.  Never had a surgery.  Never take any medications.  Healthy weight and lifestyle.  28 years old.  I know GloFil is routine at many transplant centers, but I'm a little alarmed and concerned that I may not be able to donate now.  Has anyone else had an experience like this?  I'm curious as to how often something like this comes up and ends up being ok in the end.  I'm sick worrying that I may not be able to help my nephew now.  Hoping that one of my kidneys is just dominant to the other, but the other is still fully capable of functioning well on its own if it needs to.  Thanks in advance for any feedback.   

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: GloFil ordered after CT scan
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »
I had a similar circumstance.  The first, simple test done showed that I had the kidneys of an 80 year old woman! So they did the glofil test.  Not a problem - it just takes a long time as there are a number of blood draws involved to monitor the progress of the test. They will insert an IV, then put in the radioactive tracer, and you will drink a small cup of liquid that blocks your thyroid from absorbing the substance. The regular blood draws are not a problem, as they draw from the IV, but you just are there for a period of time - bring a book or something! The results of that test showed my kidney function was fine.

The center indicated that the glofil is a much more accurate test of kidney function that some of the other tests. I would not worry about it at this time.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 12:50:31 PM »
Dear super,

I had this test done too, and it actually allowed me to donate when my blood test based results would have excluded me. 

love, elephant

Offline chaindonor

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:11:36 AM »
I will be doing a glofil test because my first 24 hour urine and blood test wasn't great, the second one was good and the glofil will confirm the second test. Does anyone know if the drink tastes nasty?

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »
The drink was very small - a little dixie type of cup. Just tasted like bland water.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline chaindonor

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »
Thank you!!!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional