| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Right Kidney donation  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Roblyn

• My first post!
Right Kidney donation
« on: August 30, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »
I have just completed the work up to be a donor. On my CT it shows my left kidney has two aries adn 2 viens. The transplant team has defered me, due to the fact that they do not do lap donations on the right kidney. Would someone please explain why?? I know of a peroson who did have a lap on her right kidney. My right kidney is fine. Thank you in advance for any insight you all can provide. ::)

Offline loustar

• Top 200 Poster!
Re: Right Kidney donation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:49:08 PM »
Hi Roblyn-

My transplant center would do either, but they preferred the left kidney.  I *think* it is because using the left kidney is easier on the recipient surgeon.  Something about a vein and/or artery being longer.  My left kidney actually had an artery that branched right before it got to the kidney.  There was talk about taking my right one instead.  Both surgeons got together to weigh the pros and cons of taking either one.  With the left kidney, the recipient surgeon would have to connect multiple arteries.  They said that the decision is based on the preference of the recipient surgeon and the recipient.  Maybe there is something about the transplant site of the recipient that cannot accommodate a right kidney?

I'm not a doctor, but this is what I vaguely remember during all of my visits to the transplant center.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:00:37 AM »
Dear Roblyn,

My surgeon told me the vein for the left kidney is longer and makes the recipient surgery easier.  If you desire only laparascopic surgery, and/or there are other possible donors with a suitable left kidney perhaps they will be the first choice.  Your safety during surgery is a major goal of the transplant team.  Even when you begin with laparoscopic surgery, there is a possibility of conversion to open surgery. 

Love, elephant

Offline kdub

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:24:11 PM »
I donated my right kidney.  Surgery was done laproscopically.  Didn't seem to be a big issue for the surgeon. 

kdub

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved