| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Liver donors & Tylenol?  (Read 4664 times)

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
Liver donors & Tylenol?
« on: December 17, 2012, 12:26:55 AM »
I know this is a kidney-dominated forum but I know there are some liver donors hiding out there too...

Have your teams recommended any acetaminophen (Tylenol) use after donation?  I'm just at the beginning of research but curious what I could take over-the-counter both short- and long-term post-operatively?

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Liver donors & Tylenol?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:42:06 AM »
Hi Jenny,

Always good to hear from all donors. Liver donors are rare and I'm sure other liver donors appreciate your responses.

In terms of tylenol. Kidney donors are instructed not to used nsaids (non steroidal anti inflammatories) like ibuprofen, aleve, aspirin because these are broken down and excreted through the kidneys. We don't want to over tax the one kidney. Tylenol is broken down in the liver which is why it is recommended as a pain reliever for kidney donors, patients with decreased kidney function, some of the elderly whose kidney function may be impaired. Best to check with your doctors to see what type of pain relievers are the safest for you. Your liver should regenerate over time and maybe after a certain amount of time it would be safe for you to resume taking other medications.

BTW, are you aware of liver donor support groups or organizations (like the National Kidney Foundation for kidney patients)? Another poster on here, Pam, was asking. Maybe you two can talk. She posted not long ago so you can look back a couple of pages.

Good luck. Hope you are feeling well.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »
Great question. Experience on this board indicates that advice regarding use of prescription and OTC medications after donation of a kidney is sketchy at best, so I worry it might be nonexistent for living liver donors. I hope the liver donors who do visit our site will share their experiences.

In the meantime, here's a web site listing drugs that can adversely affect the liver: http://www.hepcnet.net/drugsandliverdamage.html
It's interesting to see acetaminophen (Tylenol) listed at the very beginning of the list.

Please share whatever you find in your research. Thanks!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Pam

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »
 I am a liver donor and just had my three month follow up. The question of Tylenol came up during my visit. I take it as needed which is not every day. My Dr. said that is fine to take. Dosage I take is 1000mg a day as needed. (usually at night if needed)

Pam

Offline joshua_david

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »
I donated part of my liver over 5 years ago and I don't remember what they suggested but I have taken tylenol when needed and I have never had any issues with my liver.
Tammy
Mother to Joshua: Joshua was diagnosed with Stage IV Hepatoblastoma at the age of 9 months (Feb.26/07).  After 5 rounds of chemo, I gave 30% of my liver to Joshua (Aug.2/07).
Joshua is 3 years cancer free and is a happy 5 year old.

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 10:25:05 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved