| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 4 week labs/6 week checkup  (Read 6586 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
4 week labs/6 week checkup
« on: November 22, 2011, 02:58:49 PM »
   Earlier this week I went to my center's nephrology follow-up clinic, on my 6-week anniversary, for a check up (I also had gone back to the transplant center 9 days after surgery, so they could remove my staples and take a quick look at the scar).
   In preparation, I had a set of blood and urine tests performed, at the 4-week mark, along with a 24-hour Holter blood pressure test.  Note:  I was careful to leave enough time to schedule these tests--the first since I was discharged-- and get the results back in time for this appointment.  My transplant center and I are affiliated with different health plans (systems), so the administrative side is pretty cumbersome.  In fact, I showed up without the necessary authorization from my health plan that they'd pay the hospital for this visit. That could have been a real pain, but fortunately I'd arrived at the hospital several hours early, and a few phone calls and faxes, orchestrated by the clinic's helpful secretary, cleared the log jam. It's also good I came so early because, despite having been to the transplant center many, many times, it took me an hour to find the nephrology clinic, in a different building.  Part of the problem was that the same rich family donated a few different buildings in their name, which caused some confusion.
   In any case, my key numbers, from the 4-week point, are as follows:

creatinine (serum?):       1.1 mg/dl    (normal:  0.67-1.17)
eGFR:                          >60           (>60 is normal)
creatinine (24-hr urine):  1.4 g/24 hr (normal:  1-2)

Interestingly, in the hospital four weeks before these most recent labs, my (serum?) creatinine was 0.67 just before the surgery, and 1.04 afterwards (i.e., according to my newest, 4-week post-surgery labs, my creatinine seems to have risen slightly beyond what it was the morning after the surgery).  I assume that my creatinine did not really "deteriorate" up to 1.1 after my discharge, but that there may be some experimental error due to two different labs doing the testing, or something.  I hope that's correct. Either way, though, even my current 1.1 is in the normal range.  I don't know if that's normal for everybody, or whether it's adjusted for one-kidneyed folks.
  Regarding the 24-hour urine, I just noticed that my three previous values from the same health system lab, from August and September, were actually higher, 1.5 or 1.6, than my most recent, post-surgery values.
   I had been a bit worried about my newest 24-hour BP test, since the nurse made a clucking noise or two when she handed me the report to bring to the check-up.  However, the follow-up clinic nephrologist called the test normal, and said--based on a very quick scan of my new labs--that I looked fine.  He didn't examine me, or even look at my scar.  All he did was tell me to lose weight, suggesting I get back down to what I weighed at my wedding, over 25 years ago.  He didn't seem impressed that, at my current BMI, I am actually a few grams below "obese" for the first time in decades.  I'm well aware that it's important to keep one's weight down, but he could have been more impressed with what I've done till now! :) (I'm about 21 kilos lighter than I was five years ago).
   In response to my question, he also said that it could easily take a few more months until I stop feeling painful twinges whenever I lift anything that's not pretty light.
   As for my personal experience, I'm fortunate to be in my fourth week back at work, and doing fine.  Apart from the above-mentioned lifting issue, I'm hesitant about taking local buses--I don't want to get slammed around when going around corners, and the bumps cause pain not only on the bus, but my back and side ache for hours afterward.  So, locally I try to take cabs or walk, but I have no trouble sitting on the bus for the longer, inter-city trips. 
  Overall, I've been blessed to have a relaxed, smooth recovery.  To those still in the process, I hope your experiences turn out to be at least as smooth!
  Finally, thanks yet again to all those who have answered my numerous questions, sent encouragement, and have become my friends during this process.
          Be well, Snoopy

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: 4 week labs/6 week checkup
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
Congrats!

Creatinine will vary based on hydration levels or illness.  1.1 is normal for everyone. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Linda

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »
Glad things are going well!  I am still in the "no-lifting" phase. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
donated kidney to dear friend Oct. 2011

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:32:54 AM »
  Thank you to Lawphi and Linda for the encouragement! 
  Linda, if you're still in the no-lifting phase, let me just note a discovery I made yesterday:  it's not just lifting.  I was trying to slide shut a "sticky", heay window on the bus yesterday.  I succeeded, but...let's just say it wasn't worth it in the end.  Feel good!
    Snoopy

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:16:18 AM »
Congrats Snoopy - I think your numbers look great! As Lawphi stated (and you probably already know) being hydrated/dehydrated will affect creatinine numbers. It sounds like you are doing very well, and I am very glad. :)

Best Wishes,

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Linda

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 07:32:56 AM »
Great advice Snoopy!  I was trying to open a jar and realized I had done too much!  Now I let hubby or one of my sons do that!
donated kidney to dear friend Oct. 2011

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 10:15:37 AM »
Snoopy,

Great news!  [And, regarding serum creatinine of 1.04 vs. 1.1, there are several possible explanations -- all of which mean the apparent "difference" has no relevance to your health.]

Regarding your doc & focus on desired future weight: yes, MDs tend to focus more on what needs to be done than on what has been accomplished.  And I should know -- I have done the same too often.

So, from one of those MDs:  CONGRATULATIONS, HIGH-FIVES, L'CHAIM, etc.  It is an accomplishment not to gain more weight as we get older -- even more of an accomplishment to lose some and keep it off.

Even more, of course, is to celebrate, and give thanks for, what you did 6 weeks ago, and all your effort, hopes, and fears that preceded it, and your family's and recipient's as well -- as well as medical science and the health professionals that made those efforts work.   ;D

Bill
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:17:28 AM by WilliamLFreeman »
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »
Bill,
 What a nice e-mail!  It was great to get your encouragement, but don't worry, I wasn't particularly down about it.  I think I was more shocked that he actually expected me to return to my 1986 weight.  But in any case I'm grateful for your high-five, and send you one in return for all your excellent advice throughout this process.  By the way, is the high-five instead of the secret handshake that you guys never taught me?  :)
   Be well, Snoopy

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
   Since I keep complaining about how careful I need to be with lifting, I should explain for those still pre-surgery that, when I lift too much, the pain is really minor.
   It's just that I see it as a warning not to lift more.  Although that's a bit of a nuisance, the "pain" itself, at least since about two weeks post-surgery, is really more of a discomfort.
   Be well, Snoopy (into my 9th week post-surgery, doing fine, but still not lifting much)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional