| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: horrible news, yet again  (Read 6621 times)

from.my.abdomen.to.yours

horrible news, yet again
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »
I have some good news too...turns out my would-have-been recipient is not suffering from severe heart failure, as was thought a few weeks ago. The dialysis machine/nurses calculations were incorrect, she had gained a few pounds of real body weight (not fluid weight) so they were taking off WAY too much fluid every time she was dialysed. That is what caused her heart troubles and extremely low blood pressures.

As for the other horrible news, I may not be able to donate the kidney after all of this. I have been feeling sick recently and I have had swollen lymph nodes in my neck for some time now. I went to get a second opinion (I didn't want an infection delaying the surgery), and the doctor found lymph nodes in my neck on both sides, and on the back of my neck, above my collar bone, in my elbow and in my groin, as well as an enlarged spleen and signs of compression of my superior vena cava. Some blood work and a chest x-ray later, and the good doc tells me I have cancer. Probably lymphoma, however a biopsy is needed to confirm the diagnosis. I see another doctor on Tuesday and will hopefully be able to find out when the biopsy will be. I am hoping that the doctor was wrong, that I just have mono, or a strange infection or something. I don't know how I will tell my recipient about this...she has been so excited, she's started counting down the days until she gets her new kidney....this is just awful.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Re: horrible news, yet again
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:47:59 AM »
Ouch!!!
   I'm so sorry to hear about this latest news.  I understand how you feel about the potential recipient, but right now job #1 is to nail down exactly what's up with you, and to get through it.
      Hoping for good news,
      Snoopy

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »
How awful.  Praying to God and hoping for good news to come your way.
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:54:20 PM »
     Sorry to hear of your difficulties. God bless and strengthen you.
   Fr. Pat

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:07:56 AM »
I am so, so sorry to hear of this. I am keeping you in my prayers and praying for good news for you. Please do let us know how your appointment goes on Tuesday.

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner/kidney donor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
Tell your friend honestly about what is going on with you and your health--and that your goal now is to focus on what you need.  This is another side of being evaluated.  Sometimes there are health issues discovered and a person cannot donate.  Will keep both of you in my prayers. 
Donna
Kidney donor, 1994    Independent donor advocate
MSN,  Adult Nurse Practitioner
2003-2006:  OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, Ad Hoc Living Donor Committee, Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organs Committee, OPTN Working Group 2 on Living Donation
2006-2012:  Lifebanc Board of Directors

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »
We had several donors be ruled out. Your friend will worry more about you than your spare parts. 

Thinking of you.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »
I hope all your testing is clear of something serious.  But look at it this way.  If this had not been discovered now and the surgery had gone ahead and then you had symptoms your recipient could have faced real life threatening complications, even if just a low grade infection.  Their immunity is so compromised with all the anti rejection meds they are on, a common cold can land them in ICU fighting for their lives let alone something even more serious.

The fact you wanted to donate is very admirable of you.  I hope all your testing comes up clean.  Please stay in touch with us.

Best wishes,   Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 10:12:34 PM »
Like the other say, take care of yourself first.  This is unfortunate, but hopefully it was caught early.  If your friend doesn't understand, something is wrong with her. It will be disappointing, but maybe someone else can step up and offer a kidney to her.

Take care and we'll be praying for you.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved