| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: advice on being a donor  (Read 3843 times)

Offline January2014

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
advice on being a donor
« on: January 09, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
I am thinking of being tested to be a liver donor to my parent. I have a small child and I am worried about his care during my recovery. Are there any other young mothers out there who have been donors? Any advice?

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: advice on being a donor
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 10:34:28 PM »
Welcome! I know we've had at least one mom who I believe actually donated to her child. I'm sure we've had others moms to young children. Liver donation has a longer recovery period & has more risk associated to it versus kidney donation. We don't have nearly as many liver donors on here but hopefully you'll get some feedback from them as well. That way you have a better idea of what to expect. My advice is to do your research, and talk to your PCP who will be completely looking out for you. Some donors have felt that their transplant center was more concerned about the recipient than them as the donor. Again liver donation carries a fair amount of risk so you definitely want to hear the good and the bad so you can make an informed decision & the right decision for you. You will find this is a safe place to ask questions, share your feelings, and get advice. Good luck making your decision. It is a very big decision to make especially being the mother of a young child. Your parent should be so proud to have a daughter even willing to consider donation!
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline January2014

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Re: advice on being a donor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »
Yeah, I am worried how long I would be unable to care for my child and would need others to help out during my recovery. Thank you for the advice. I also have to make sure my husband is ok with the risks of the surgery before I move forward. Also, my parent really doesn't want me to be a live donor, they would rather wait on a cadaver donor. The worse they get though, I am not sure this would be an option and I am willing to at least be tested. I just hate to sit by and do nothing, when I have a healthy liver and can help them. Has anyone else came across this either- family members not wanting to put you in harm's way in order to be a donor?

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional