| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New to this...  (Read 4754 times)

On the fence

New to this...
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »
Well to start off I am new to this as of a few days ago so I apologize if I ask questions that should be easily found or do not use the correct terms.  To make a long sorry short, a very close friend of my mother is in need of a kidney transplant and after the first possibility came up as not being compatible my mom has gone in for testing to see if she is.  I am also considering doing the same, especially if my mom is either not able to be a donor or not compatible.  I guess I'm mainly concerned with the what the health effects are and what changes in my life I would have to make going forward.  I feel like I sound selfish here but the fact that I am willing to make changes in my life to help a close friend kind of negates those feelings...

Health:
I'm a healthy 30ish year old with no previous health issues other then having psoriasis and I was hospitalized a few years ago with pneumonia.  I'm 5'9" and aprox 135lbs.  I smoke about a half to a pack a day.  I get off work and have a drink or two daily and sometimes get pretty intoxicated on the weekend.  Some would say I'm an alcoholic I would like to say I have fun and live a realistic life.  That debate is for another day.  I'm only throwing this out there because I think it's relevant and am wondering how much I have to change to have a chance to save someone I care for.  Other then that I live an active life and would like to think I eat healthy and live healthy.

I realize I'm not talking to a doctor.  I'm just looking for input from a non doctor input before I make the next step to the doctor input part of this difficult decision.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
Re: New to this...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
On the fence,

Well, first off, Bless you for even considering living organ donation.  There are many who may give it a moments thought and as quickly dismiss the idea, but fewer that actually consider it and begin thinking about testing for compatibility.  Secondly, I pray for you mother and her friend, that things ultimately work out in the end and for health for both. 

Based on what you've posted, you've definitely come to the right place to get multiple perspectives, a myriad of experiences and thoughtful opinions about what to do next.  A good place to start is to determine the closest transplant center to where you live, look them up on their web-site and see what information they have posted for those considering being a living organ/tissue donor.  Generally, the information provided there, or through other sites like the National Kidney Foundation will provide answers to most any and every question you'll come with and to some questions you haven't thought of yet.

Another dimension, and quite important one, is your own health and lifestyle.  I'm no one to judge anyone, so please don't take my comments as judgmental;  smoking and more than occasional or moderate consumption of alcohol is definitely a consideration with both your potential for becoming a viable donor (are you healthy enough, are there higher associated health risks to you post-op, due to your current life-style choices) as-well-as the long-term outcome for your own health, post-donation.  Not only may a transplant center decline you as a potential donor, at least temporarily, but they may require lifestyle changes and demonstration of those changes over a predetermined time frame, but that is best answered by a medical screening and a professional medical determination.  On the flip side, you're young, seemingly healthy and willing to make changes; all of which operates in your favor. 

Of course, there is much more to the screening process than that (full medical work-up, compatibility testing with the potential recipient, screening by a social worker, etc...) and all of these processes are set up to protect you and the potential recipient.

Regarding you question about "how much changing" you'll have to do to potentially become a donor?  I would offer this; most people who become donors have questions, concerns, fears and anxiety over the process and you are already on the correct first-step;  Information.   I wish you luck and good health and will pray that you find the answers you seek in your decision making.  You'll likely have a wealth of information coming from other posters on this forum so I would encourage you to read them all and learn. 

Regards!

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: New to this...
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »
Dear "On The Fence",
     Also keep in mind that when there are willing but non-compatible donors the transplant can still take place through a "kidney swap". In a "swap" two or more patients who have willing but incompatible donors "swap" with the kidneys being exchanged among the particpating families/friends. www.kidneyregistry.org and www.paireddonation.org are sites where they try to arrange such "swaps" and they have a large data base of patients. In such exchanges the donor need not be in the same city as the recipient, as the donated kidney can now be safely transported from one place to another.
   best wishes,
      Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved