| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donated left Kidney 3/9/12  (Read 6783 times)

Offline Skillet

• Top 200 Poster!
Donated left Kidney 3/9/12
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:30:08 PM »
Gave my left kidney to my brother at Pinnacle in Harrisburg PA.  This Friday will be the 2 week mark.  I had very little pain from then till now.  I'm having a hard time believeing how uneventful it was.  I went in the operating room in the morning and was out of recovery and in my room by lunch.  Walked down to see my brother Friday evening.  Saturday I was up and walking all overy the place.  I wanted to go upstairs to the resterant but the nurses told me I couldn't leave the floor!  lol  I'd say so far the worse thing out of the whole ordeal was the catheter and removing it!  My cuts are tender but my swelling and bruising is down.  I came home Sunday morning the 11th.  Was a little fuzzy last week but went into work yesterday and today.  I just opened mail and worked at my desk.  My brother is now doing great.  Enjoying his new found energy from my kidney and the steriods.  Still has a long way to go but is very happy for my gift to him.  Its been a very fulfuling experience for me with no complications so far.  If anybody reads this and is as worried about donating as I was don't sweat it!!  My pain was never more than a .5 and I use extra strength Tylenol when I came home instead of the percocet.  Other than mentally still being a bit fuzzy from being under I almost feel back to normal and it hasn't been 2 wks yet!

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Donated left Kidney 3/9/12
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:35:56 PM »
Hi Skillet-I dontated on 2/24 at Pinnacle! Dr Yang is the best! Glad to hear you and your brother are doing well. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Lauri

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:50:30 AM »
Hi!  Congratulations!  What a wonderful experience.  I'm in the process of donating at Pinnacle and SOOO glad to hear some feedback about it.  If either of you can email me, I'd love to hear more about the staff and your experience.

I'm happy for your and your brother. 
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline Skillet

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »
Hi Skillet-I dontated on 2/24 at Pinnacle! Dr Yang is the best! Glad to hear you and your brother are doing well. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Lauri

Its funny.  The Friday in Jan. that they said I was a match  2/24th was open.  The following Monday it was filled.  lol  The next day that was open was 3/9 which suited my brother better as he wasn't mentally ready to get a new kidney yet. 
Dr. Yang and Dr. Narins are THE BEST!  They did an awesome job on me.  My incisions look like cat scratches now and it hasn't been 2 wks.  I'm trying very hard not to overdue it but I'm not sure what it means becuase the lack of much pain if any.  I'm 44 6'2" 220 lbs. so no lifting 10lbs. or 20lbs. for 6 wks. is hard to adjust to.  I'm very active with an athletic build but wouldn't say I'm in great shape just healthy.

Offline Skillet

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »
Hi!  Congratulations!  What a wonderful experience.  I'm in the process of donating at Pinnacle and SOOO glad to hear some feedback about it.  If either of you can email me, I'd love to hear more about the staff and your experience.

I'm happy for your and your brother. 

Sent you a pm with my e-mail.  I'll answer anything I can for you.

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »
Sorry Skillet that I stole your date-haha.I didn't mean to leave out Dr Narins-he and Dr  Yang really did an awesome job-I have no complaints whatsoever.
Agree to not being able to lift-its really hard not to. But the thought of getting a hernia is not pleasant!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:56:44 PM »
Dear Skillet,
     Hi. Congratulations to you both! Glad your recovery is going well (mine went well also, 10 years ago.) You'll probably find walking to be very helpful.
    best wishes,
      Fr. Pat

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 07:54:25 AM »
Congrats, Skillet!

My surgery (January 31) and recovery were easy too. I was out of the hospital the next day and had very little pain or fatigue or anything that other people have described.

It's been great watching my recipient improve. He's doing so well the doctors shake their heads in amazement every time he goes in for his follow-ups.

I feel exactly as I did before my surgery and he feels 100x better. So worth it.

You can look forward to watching your brother get better and better too.

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »
Thank you for posting your experence!  I am donating on Tuesday and the closer the day gets, the more emotional & scared I feel.  Reading your post gives me comfort!! ;D 

Congrats!!! 

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 03:34:48 PM »
Congratulations Skillet!

I am so glad that you and your brother are doing so well. Thank you so much for updating us all to let us know how you both are doing.

Best wishes to you and your brother!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional