| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Mental Illness Disqualification  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Skacall

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Mental Illness Disqualification
« on: March 22, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
Why are mental illnesses disqualifying in liver donation? Would it be disqualifying even if the illness has been controlled for many years with no symptoms? My grandmother needs a liver transplant and I am the only relative who is willing to donate, we have the same blood type but I have Bipolar II Disorder. I have been in treatment for 5 years with NO symptoms whatsoever and I don't understand why my grandmother has to die because I have a well managed condition completely unrelated to my liver.

Offline Skacall

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Re: Mental Illness Disqualification
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 02:08:14 PM »
Also worth noting: They haven't asked me yet about my mental health so couldn't I just... Not tell them?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Mental Illness Disqualification
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:49:18 PM »
     Congratulations on your wonderful desire to donate.
     Each transplant hospital has its own evaluation process. The mental health of each potential donor is taken into consideration along with many other things. I think that they try to evaluate each person, and don't make a blanket refusal of all persons who are suffering or have suffered from a mental problem, and they do take into account whether the problem is now under good control. But they do have to seriously consider:
--- Does the person's mental state enable him/her to make a free and fully informed decision to donate? For example, if the person is currently experiencing wild mood swings he/she might offer to donate while in a very optimistic and excited mood, but then regret the offer when a big drop in mood occurs. So they have to be sure that the person's condition is now stable enough to make a free decision.
--- A notable percentage of living organ donors experience depression after donation, even if the donation is successful. So if the potential donor has had a history of depression the danger of post-op depression has to be taken into consideration.
--- If the potential donor is taking medication for his/her problem, the hospital has to evaluate possible negative reactions between those medications and the medications (anesthesia, pain-killers, anti-inflamatories) that the donor will have to receive.

So it is best to be totally honest with the hospital about one's physical and mental health history, and be prepared to argue your case reasonably. They will probably want to have a written evaluation and recommendation from your current health care provider.
       best wishes,
          Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional