| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I've been asked to consider running for a seat on the OPTN/UNOS board(s) again.  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
What do y'all think? My not-for-profit board experience has continued since last I served, and I now chair a not-for-profit board managing a greater than half million dollar a year operating budget with assets of greater than five million dollars. I'm still an older white guy college grad with advanced degrees from Cambridge, MA. Can you believe I'd represent you during debates about national organ transplantation policy? Are you planning to run? I'll gladly step aside for fresh voices with different perspectives. Do tell.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:09:49 PM by Clark »
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline livingdonor101

• Top 50 poster!
    • Living Donor 101
Well Clark, you and I have broached this conversation on multiple occasions. I have attempted four different times to serve on a committee and/or the Board (at least one application to the Board). I have been denied every time. This year, I was told about a committee opening by a current committee member and still wasn't chosen. When I managed to speak to someone about this, Cliff McClenney (sp?), the first time I've ever been able to reach a human about this very topic, I was told "they chose someone else" with no further explanation.

As an excuse for my exclusion, I've been told that there are too many applications for too few spots. But OPTN is notorious for 'recycling' people, which Cliff admitted. The committee member who clued me into the committee opening was *asked* to serve, ostensibly because they didn't have enough interested parties. And now here you are, saying you've been asked to serve too. 3 years ago, OPTN asked HRSA for an exemption to the "non-transplant-related" facet of Board/committee membership, theoretically, because not enough "non-transplant" applications came in. So why have I been repeatedly denied an opportunity to serve?

I have nearly 20 years of non-profit experience, including serving on a Board. I have spent 8 years as a tireless advocate for living donor care and well-being. I also have a master's degree in Counseling, experience as an entrepreneur, etc. Yet OPTN denies all my applications - all while accepting living donors who are barely out of recovery.

And apparently, asking folks like you to return.

So the more important question, to me, is: How can OPTN be forced to comply with Final Rule 2000 and be transparent about their selection process? Because it's clearly biased and skewed.
www.livingdonor101.com - Where Living Donors Matter Most.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Cristy, are you running for a board seat? Would you prefer I not do so?
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved