| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donating Kidney in 2 weeks  (Read 6591 times)

Offline gbug12001

• Top 200 Poster!
Donating Kidney in 2 weeks
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:58:04 PM »
Hello... I found this board last night and have read a few posts... My brother has known for sometime that he would need a kidney transplant.  I'm one of 5 children and was not the first choice to be a donor.  The first choice sibling was disqualified to donate and I was next...   We really thought the first choice would be it.. Two weeks ago he was denied... and today the transplant team ok'd me to donate.  Surgery is scheduled for April 19. I can not believe how fast this process has went.  I'm sure I will have questions and I am glad I have found someplace to find answers.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Donating Kidney in 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:01:25 AM »
     Best wishes on your coming surgery. If you haven't seen them already, you might want to read the list of "helpful hints" for your hospital experience that the national Kidney Foundation collected from past donors:
www.kidney.org/transplantation/livingdonors/infotips.cfm
   Fr. Pat

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:36 AM »
Hello and Welcome!

Congratulations on your upcoming donation surgery! Father Pat gave you an excellent link to read up on about organ donation. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are many wonderful people on this board who are willing to help out any way possible.

Two things I always encourage folks to bring to the hospital - lip balm and lotion. Hospitals can be a very dry place.

I truly wish all the best to you and your brother!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »
Dear gbug,

Hopefully since you have a large family there will be plenty of help for both of you during recovery.  You have some time now to prepare for recovery - there's lots of great advice here.

I think you will share a special bond with your brother. 

When I donated to my Dad last year, my estranged brother travelled across the country to be with us.  He has stayed in contact with my parents ever since.  So there was more than one illness healed by the transplant!

love, elephant

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:39:57 PM »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! 2 months post-op, I feel great, and my recipient feels even better. You will enjoy watching your brother get his life back. He's lucky to have such loyal siblings!

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »
Dear gbug
You certainly have come to the right place-there are a lot of very knowledgeable and caring people on this site.
Good luck to you and your brother. There is a ton of information on the web but your best source of information is your transplant team. Don't hesitate to ask them anything at all!!
Best wishes and speedy recovery
Lauri

Offline Johnny_t

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:04:42 PM »
Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  I am 2days post-op and I feel great!  You will feel like you've really made a difference and it truly is a wonderful feeling.  I was very afraid and nervous, but after getting through the actual surgery I realized that the fear was nothing compared to the awesome feeling of helping someone have a new chance at living life.  Good luck and hope for the best for you two.

Offline Suzie

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 08:50:01 AM »
Hi, gbug!  You and I are donating on the same day!  Congradulations & good luck!  Maybe we can keep in touch and compare notes on our progress!

Suzie

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
Please keep in mind that YOU are in control of some of the timing!!

If you feel too rushed, let them know!!

My team was very good about reasuring me that MY needs were just as important as anyone elses.

I was the one who chose the surgery date.....which was this past Tuesday.....April 3rd :D

This IS a great site!!!!!
I am sure you will find much comfort here ;)
  (I have)

Good luck to you!!!!

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 02:55:17 PM »
Hi gbug,
I gave to my brother in December, and we have both done really well.
The best advice I can give is to exercise as much as possible before surgery, even if it is just walking, and go into the surgery with a clean, empty colon...at UCLA, we were even told not to drink anything carbonated for 2 weeks prior.   
My surgeon told me the morning after surgery, when he had to track me down doing laps in the hallway, that the patients who do the best are the ones who walk and do stairs, and transition to extra strength tylenol as soon as possible.  Narcotics make the constipation even worse. 
Best of luck to you and your brother!
Regards,
jatopa

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved