| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Pre-op tomorrow  (Read 7191 times)

Offline MrMike66

• Top 100 Poster!
Pre-op tomorrow
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:47:38 PM »
So tomorrow I have pre-op tests for surgery on April 3rd.  I am a good samaritan donor starting a chain of seven.  I guess I am excited and nervous.  Ive read and heard so many different stories about recovery that I have no idea what to believe or how I might recover.  I guess everyone is different in how they heal.  I hope I wont be out of work for too long.  I guess I will think positively about how much better my recipient will feel.

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Re: Pre-op tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:36:14 PM »
Which paired donation program are you in?
Good luck - hope all goes well!  :)
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »
Dear MrMike,

My recipient felt amazingly better the moment he woke up after surgery. 
Keep us updated on your experience, you'll get lots of support and good advice here.
Donation was certainly one of the most interesting things I've been able to do.

Love, elephant

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:50:59 AM »
How did you decide to do it?  I did the same through NKR.  I'm speaking at the Rotary club today about the opportunity to do what you are doing.  I pray the chain holds together for all concerned.  Sometimes there are last minute things that come up and require schedule adjustments.  Don't worry.  Just keep it in mind. 

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:32:27 PM »
I'm donating my kidney to a friend -apr 4 th pre op mar 27th :) I just prayed for you  and teh whole group.

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »
Blessings to you and your recipient!!!

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:11:05 AM »
 :) :) :) :) :) Many Blessings and Postive Thoughts to you and Recipient!  :) :) :) :)

Offline MrMike66

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »
Surgery was last Wednesday.  I threw up the first night which hurt a bunch.  I had a great nurses aid who sat with me through it.  Kelsey, was pretty awesome.  They got the nausea meds and pain meds straight the first day.  Day 2 I was walking around fine.   They pulled the catheter and I had more motivation to get up and walk.  I was ready to go home on friday afternoon.  I was mostly tired.  I slept a lot on Friday and Saturday and mostly relaxed over the weekend.   I quit pain meds last night as they cause me too much dry mouth, constipation, loss of appetite and nausea.

Today Im sitting out on the lawn on a blanket.   Some aches and pains but overll not too bad.  NO MORE MEDICATION.  Im feeling pretty good.

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »
That sounds like an unremarkable recovery, in doctor speak. But in human terms, it's awesome. Way to go! And thanks for reporting back.

Best wishes and welcome to the club,

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 03:10:11 PM »
Dear MrMike,

I'm happy to hear you are recovering.  You've done something remarkable!

Love, elephant

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »
I think of what you've done as a rock of blessing dropped in this world's pond with ripples going out in all directions- more than you can imagine now.

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »
Surgery was last Wednesday.  I threw up the first night which hurt a bunch.  I had a great nurses aid who sat with me through it.  Kelsey, was pretty awesome.  They got the nausea meds and pain meds straight the first day.  Day 2 I was walking around fine.   They pulled the catheter and I had more motivation to get up and walk.  I was ready to go home on friday afternoon.  I was mostly tired.  I slept a lot on Friday and Saturday and mostly relaxed over the weekend.   I quit pain meds last night as they cause me too much dry mouth, constipation, loss of appetite and nausea.

Today Im sitting out on the lawn on a blanket.   Some aches and pains but overll not too bad.  NO MORE MEDICATION.  Im feeling pretty good.

:) :) :) Hope each day is better and better! Thank you for helping a kidney patient have a better life.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline MrMike66

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »
Its 10 days tomorrow.  Im going for my first checkup tomorrow AM.  Things are getting better everyday.  I still have some swelling under the skin in my abdomen, but all of the incisions are healing up well.  Im thankful because I have read so many people have had very long slow recoveries and some even still have pain. 

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional