| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Two weeks post-op tomorrow  (Read 3233 times)

Offline logansaunt

• Top 200 Poster!
Two weeks post-op tomorrow
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:45:03 PM »
I donated my left kidney to my nephew 2 weeks ago tomorrow and I just wanted to check in and thank everyone for the information I received here. The surgery went well, it was on Monday morning and I went home on Friday. I almost felt like they were trying to hurry me out of the hospital but I took the advice of several nurses and stuck to my guns and just said, "No, I'm not ready.". I felt much stronger on Friday and was able to make the trip home. My nephew got released a week after the surgery but was rushed back to the hospital a few hours later due to his incision coming open.  After another surgery, he's now doing much better and should return home in a few days.

I have found that Tylenol does nothing for my pain so I'm still on Percocet. Even though it causes bad dreams and an itchy rash (helped with Benadryl) it seems to control the pain better than anything else.   I'm now able to space them out over a 6-8 hour time span.

I had asked earlier about pain control after surgery and I'm happy to announce that they were very good about keeping me comfortable. I will say however that nothing, and I do mean nothing, could have ever prepared me for that first walk. :(

Blessings to all that are on this same journey. I do feel like my life is forever changed.  If you had asked me the first few days after surgery if I would do it again, I would've selfishly said no. Now that I'm past the hard part and I see how great my nephew looks, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Re: Two weeks post-op tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:50:33 AM »
Dear logansaunt,
  Congratulations on the successful surgery: welcome to the other side!  And congratulations to your nephew!
  I hope the pain is improving.  Many, many LDO members reported that the more they walked, the faster they recoved.  Although, come to think of it, that first time really wasn't much fun.  As I recall, the hospital made sure I walked by removing my catheter, and letting (the call of) nature take its course.  Sneaky, but effective....
  As you continue to get stronger, do remember not to lift more than you're supposed to.
       Feel good, Snoopy

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Two weeks post-op tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:36:09 AM »
Dear logansaunt,

I'm thrilled to hear you are both on they way to recovery!  The change in the recipient is amazing, isn't it? 
My first walk, light headed, dry-heaving, with the IV pole and catheter was to see Daddy who was having breakfast, all smiles.
Don't be surprised if your fatigue lasts for a while, but it will pass.

Love, elephant

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional