| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: A mother's gift to her only child: living-related mismatched liver transplant  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.smh.com.au/national/a-mothers-gift-to-her-only-child-20111126-1o086.html

A mother's gift to her only child
Tim Barlass

THREE years ago Charlie Munns was severely jaundiced, suffering a genetic liver disease and waiting in hospital for an organ donor.
With the months passing and his health deteriorating, doctors suggested that his mother, Julie-Anne, or father, Grant, could donate part of their liver. Their blood groups were not compatible. Undeterred, surgeons performed one of the first living-related mismatched liver transplants at The Children's Hospital at Westmead, transplanting half of Mrs Munns's liver to her only child.
''I was very excited because it seemed like all hope to give Charlie a chance was slipping away,'' she said.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''The only thing that worried me was if I didn't come out of it - my husband could have lost his wife and son in a matter of days. I was more worried about them.''

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved