| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Local doctor to celebrate organ donations at Rose Bowl parade  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Local doctor to celebrate organ donations at Rose Bowl parade
« on: December 22, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »
http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/Local_doctor_to_celebrate_organ_donations_at_Rose_Bowl_parade__135836558.html?ref=558

Local doctor to celebrate organ donations at Rose Bowl parade
Reporter: Aaron Dimick

A local doctor is getting ready to take his seat on a float in the 2012 Rose Bowl parade.

On Sunday, WEAU 13 News caught up with the man who’s celebrating the gift of life through organ donation.

For Dr. Jim Haemmerle, donating an organ was all about timing.

“It just seemed like the right thing to do at the state of my life. I was aware of how many people need transplants,” Dr. Haemmerle said.

In February 2010 the orthopedic surgeon at Mayo Clinic Health System in Menomonie went under the knife himself.

Dr. Haemmerle said his left kidney went to a father of four from Minnesota.

“I met him this past June and he and a couple members of his family and it kind of hit home. I thought 'Fine I'll do the donation and that will be it' but it really showed me the impact organ donation had,” Dr. Haemmerle said.

Now nearly two years later, the doctor from the Twin Cities is getting ready to remember his gift of life.

He will be one of 28 riders on the Donate Life America’s float in the upcoming Rose Bowl “Parade of Roses” in Pasadena, California.

Dozens of volunteers have worked countless hours readying the float named “One More Day”.

“People on the float will be living donors like myself, transplant recipients and families of deceased donors,” Dr. Haemmerle said.

Along with cheering on the Wisconsin Badgers against Oregon in the big football face off, Dr. Haemmerle said he’s looking forward to talking with his fellow float riders.

“And increase awareness about the value of organ donation. I hope that people will think about that this time of year and especially consider organ donation as something you can do for your fellow human being,” Dr. Haemmerele said.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional