| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I have a question about dehydration after a kidney donation  (Read 7175 times)

Offline corleto1

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
I have a question about dehydration after a kidney donation
« on: November 09, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »
A month ago I donated my left kidney to my sister and last Wednesday I was admitted to the hospital with flu like symptoms and severe dehydration.  My creations were 2.6 and I was told I was in kidney failure.  Thank God that I pulled out of that one.  Anyway, my question is now that I only have one kidney, can I get dehydrated easier or was this a fluke? 

Thanks all,
Enjoy football I'm going to

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: I have a question about dehydration after a kidney donation
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 05:12:33 PM »
Best wishes! Glad you're recovering well. Speak to your primary care physician or get a referral to a nephrologist to discuss your situation. Generally, it's not the we become dehydrated more easily, it's that if we do become dehydrated, the demands this places on our single remaining kidney are very worrisome, leading most well informed caregivers to act quickly to reduce these risks. Were you not counselled to be more vigilant about your hydration levels as part of your informed consent process or at discharge from the transplant center?

Regardless, your situation is your own, and now you've experienced a dehydration incident as well, so follow up for improved hydration practices and personal situational awareness techniques. Again, best wishes, and glad you're on the mend. Take good care.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »
Dear "Corleto1",
     I'm glad you got that resolved! I don't know your age, but it is good to keep in mind that when we are younger we tend to FEEL thirsty when we need hydration, but with the years that warning signal becomes weaker. So we can be seriously dehydrated and yet not FEEL thirsty. So especially for us one-kidney folks it is important to be watchful and make sure we have enough fluids. I still do distant running at age 68, 12 years after donating, but I am very careful to keep well hydrated.
      best wishes,
          Fr. Pat

Offline corleto1

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:29:05 AM »
Thank both of you for your answers.  I researched all morning trying to figure that one out.  Now I can go to sleep smarter than I was when I started this journey a month ago.  And, even after everything that happened, I would do it again in a heartbeat!!)

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 07:58:06 AM »
The only thing I was told to do differently after my surgery was to stay well hydrated.  They told me to always make sure my urine was the color of lemonade.  I drink lots of water now.  It seems like I feel dehydrated more quickly now, but that could just be my imagination.
Yes, I end up peeing all day long and getting up at night, but it's worth it. 

My creatinine has been .9 for quite some time now, so something is working.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved