| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Back Pain  (Read 5051 times)

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
Back Pain
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »
Hi everyone.  I am about 3.5 months post donation and the last couple days have noticed some back pain.  It might be nothing at all, but today it has gotten uncomfortable enough that I'm considering leaving work early to go home and rest with my heating pad on my back (didn't even think about bringing it with me until I was almost to work...and considered stopping by the store to buy one but then decided to tough it out).  Have any of you noticed this?  It is probably a bit stronger on the right side of my back (I donated the left kidney) but it seems to radiate across my back.  It is kind of like an achy pain.  Could just be healing but I thought I'd see if any of you have experienced this.  I am unsure as to whether I should get in to see my PCP.  I am leaving for a trip at the end of the week and want to make sure I'm not ignoring something that I shouldn't be, and then have problems on vacation.  At first I wondered if I wasn't drinking enough water but am not sure if that would cause this pain.  I try to drink 9-12 glasses of water a day and the past few days I've only been getting 7-8.  I also planted a few small plants in my garden on Sat and I suppose the pain could be associated with stretching muscles that I haven't used much since before donation.  What are your thoughts/suggestions?  Thanks.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Back Pain
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:02:08 PM »
Dear Jocelyn,

Any better today?  Worse?  No change?  Ever had back trouble before?  If your uncertainty persists about whether or not to seek treatment, err on the side of treatment.  "Back" pain is often something else, and either way is no picnic.  If you aren't experiencing rapid relief, at least contact your PCP.  Best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:32:03 PM »
I personally never had any back pain that far out.  It is worth the peace of mind to get it checked out. Hope you are doing better Jocelyn.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »
I have had some back pain before but this was feeling different.  Today it felt more like the old pain so possibly it is from planting some stuff.  I took my heating pad to work with me and it did help.  I'm noticing it more after I stand for a while too so am thinking it might be totally unrelated to donation.  Thanks for your responses.  I'm going to watch it and see my PCP if it doesn't go away.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:19:02 PM »
Hi Jocelyn,

Nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear about the back pain. I know as a donor I am always thinking about any kind of symptom as it relates to my one kidney status. Most of the time our everyday aches and pains aren't related but it is always a good idea to check it out. The key then would also be what you can take to relieve the pain if it is just an acute injury.

Hope everything else is going well. Three and a half months, wow I can't believe time has gone so fast. Hope your family is doing well.

Take care,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 06:02:11 PM »
I feel the same way.  My stomach muscles ache mildly when I wake up and are fine after the shower. My shoulders ache, but I sit in a chair all day. My back was very sore until i started back with massage. 

My massage therapist thinks that I am overworking my back muscles to avoid using my stomach muscles. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional