| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Dialysis Machine Repairman Gets Long-Awaited Kidney Transplant  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Dialysis Machine Repairman Gets Long-Awaited Kidney Transplant
Hema Mullur-KFOX News Anchor/Reporter
Posted: 5:41 pm MDT June 30, 2011
Updated: 7:26 pm MDT June 30, 2011

EL PASO, Texas -- In March 2010, KFOX14 brought you the story of a man in a unique situation. Juan Pena’s job is fixing dialysis machines, but he never thought that one day he'd end up having to use one. These days, Pena can't even make it into work. But now, it’s not because he’s sick -- it's because he's recovering from a kidney transplant.
“I feel great; I feel very healthy,” Pena said.
Pena had the kidney transplant on May 19. He called it a precious gift from his niece.
“I had lost hope,” Pena said. “And all of the sudden my niece called me -- she lives in Ruidoso, N.M. -- and she said that she had been thinking about giving me a kidney because she felt that God had talked to her.”
Today, he’s feeling much better. And unlike most people who have been on dialysis, who probably never want to see a machine again, Pena is getting restless.
“My energy level is high, so I wake up really wanting to do things and wanting to really go to work,” he said.
And every time he sees his niece, he said he can't thank her enough for saving his life.
“I wake up with energy, I wake up wanting to do things, and it's very different,” Pena said. “They call it the gift of life and it is the gift of life, because it changes your life.”
You can learn more about organ donation, and sign up to become a donor yourself, by clicking on the Donate Life section under our Health tab.
Copyright 2011 by KFOXTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/28413438/detail.html
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional