| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: IS PAYMENT A BENEFIT?  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
IS PAYMENT A BENEFIT?
« on: July 11, 2011, 06:11:22 PM »
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-8519.2011.01892.x/abstract

IS PAYMENT A BENEFIT?
ALAN WERTHEIMER

Article first published online: 4 JUL 2011
DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8519.2011.01892.x
Published 2011. This article is a US Government work and is in the public domain in the USA.
Bioethics
Early View (Online Version of Record published before inclusion in an issue)

ABSTRACT
What I call ‘the standard view’ claims that IRBs should not regard financial payment as a benefit to subjects for the purpose of risk/benefit assessment. Although the standard view is universally accepted, there is little defense of that view in the canonical documents of research ethics or the scholarly literature. This paper claims that insofar as IRBs should be concerned with the interests and autonomy of research subjects, they should reject the standard view and adopt ‘the incorporation view.’ The incorporation view is more consistent with the underlying soft-paternalist justification for risk-benefit assessment and demonstrates respect for the autonomy of prospective subjects. Adoption of the standard view precludes protocols that advance the interests of subjects, investigators, and society. After considering several objections to the argument, I consider several arguments for the standard view that do not appeal to the interests and autonomy of research subjects.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved