| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 7 days Post  (Read 10495 times)

Offline blessed1

• Top 200 Poster!
7 days Post
« on: December 23, 2011, 04:08:41 PM »
Greetings LDO Family,

It's already been a week since I donated to my mom; time really does fly.

Each day i feel a little stronger and able to do more. Today I was able to walk on the treadmill for over 30 min; but I needed a nap afterwards.  I have to keep reminding myself its okay to slow down, but it's hard when you are used to doing more.  Overall I feel pretty good -No more gas or dizziness and I have lost 7 pounds!  Cant eat like I used to, but  of course that's not a terrible thing.

Mama is having a tougher time. She was able to come home yesterday, after 6 days.  This was her 2nd transplant and due to the amounts of blood lost during the surgery (from all of the scar tissue); she needed a blood transfusion.  The kidney is doing okay, she running to the potty continuously. Yet she is still in a lot of pain and (besides going to  the bathroom), she's not moving around so much.  I pray each day the pain subsides so she can get back to her old self again.

Donating a kidney to my mom, my 'Shero'
"When the world whispers give up, Hope whispers one more time"

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
Re: 7 days Post
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 07:55:49 PM »
Blessed1,

Great news about you and your excellent recovery!   ;D

I hope your Mom continues on her road to recovery.  As you know, being a recipient of a transplanted organ may not be a bed of roses.   :)  But I hope it is a soft, long-lasting, bed!  And you are a blessing for her!   :D

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
Congratulations on your donation! Thanks for sharing your update. Please keep us informed on how your recovery goes.

My best for your continuing improvement, and I wish your mom a speedy recovery!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline lisamgoldberg

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »
Wow!!!! 30 min on treadmill. I admire you. I think I am going to start that this week. My doc had said to wait 2 weeks before I started working out.

Offline blessed1

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 10:09:42 AM »
Thanks for your kind words@ Bill & Michael!  This experience has been a blessing! I've have learned to slow down and just chill! Which has been tough for an adult who is a bit high strung.  :o

Lisa-It's been so cold out- which is why i hit the treadmill!  Believe me,  the 30 min, the first couple of times was a challenge. But I was running 3 miles the day before, so to be walking now at a turtle's pace is humbling! lol.  The Dr's say listen to your body and don't over do it, so I've been doing just that.   

How are you feeling, Lisa?

Walk, rest and stay hydrated is/was the best advice! 

Cheers to good health always!

Donating a kidney to my mom, my 'Shero'
"When the world whispers give up, Hope whispers one more time"

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:25:08 PM »
Dear Blessed1,
       Glad to hear your recovery is going well. I found that bending and stretching exercises were very helpful, in addition to walking. Actually I found that stretching out on my back flat on the floor and just spreading out the arms and legs, then doing some easy floor moves seemed to help shift my innards back into place. May have just been my imagination.
      best wishes,
          Fr. Pat

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 04:10:43 AM »
All this talk about re-shifting innards reminds me that I always wanted to know:  when they remove a kidney, do they put some stuffing into the cavity that creates, or do things really do just bounce around?
    Be well, Snoopy

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »
No need for "stuffing"....save the stuffing for the turkey!   Things just move a bit...usually small bowel sits in the new space.

Offline lisamgoldberg

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »
Today, I did 30 min on treadmill too!!! Feeling great, just have daily naps. My treadmill workout was as slow as a turtle, no sweat. I fig I would take it easy the first few days back working out. Like u, I used to also be an avid worker outer but on the elliptical. I really want to get back to that, but am allowing 1 more week before I do that.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:49:50 PM »
     The "shifting of innards" (perhaps not the best scientific term) can also present the problem of "adhesions". The internal organs are naturally coated with slimey stuff that allows them to rub against each other without irritation when we move. In surgery when the instruments, or the gloved hands of the surgeon, touch the organs that coating can be disturbed, and later spider-web scar tissue can form to protect the disturbed spots. If such spots meet each other "adhesions" can be formed between neighboring organs, or parts of the same organ (e.g. intestines), and that can cause minor or major problems. So getting lots of motion/exercise during recovery MIGHT help prevent the formation of adhesions until all the surfaces of the disturbed organs have entirely healed. (Corredctios or additions from more medically educated folks are more than welcome.)
   Fr. Pat

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
be careful
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 08:20:15 AM »
get exercise...and do move around...DON'T FORGET THE WATER....eat plenty of fruit and vegetables....

But don't overdo it either.

THOSE NAPS are your friend...
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 10:29:11 AM »
So glad to hear you are doing well.  Praying for your mom's recovery.  Thanks for the update.
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 01:39:45 AM »
Blessed1,

Thank you so much for the update. 30 minutes on the treadmill - wow! It sounds like you are recovering well and that is wonderful. Isn't it amazing how our bodies are able to recover and heal?

Snoopy - as far as re-shifting of innards, it is funny you bring that up. My Husband and I are in a 3 year post transplant/donation study at UW Madison, and we go down once a year for this. They do an MRI each year on each of us. When we were there this past November, I mentioned to our study nurse that I was curious if things moved around. ( I am also missing my uterus, gallbladder and appendix in addition to my left kidney.) She told me it is "interesting to see how things do shift." I didn't ask her to elaborate on this, but now I kind of wish I would have - now I am wondering just where everything left in there has now settled! ;)

Linda
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:41:27 AM by Aries7 »
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »
Aries, did you volunteer for this study or were you approached to join it.  I would be interested in joining in if they were still looking for participants.  My surgery was also at the UW this last March.  Did you go to the Donor Appreciation at the Marriott this fall?
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 01:03:41 AM »
Hi Dodger,

My Husband and I were approached to join the study. Actually, at the time if his transplant, he was approached about a couple of other studies that were donor only, and then we were also both approached about the recipient/donor study. We decided to enroll in the donor/recipient study. When we were there last November, they told us this study was now closed to new participants and they were not accepting anymore donors/recipients in to this particular study. However, if you are interested, I would suggest contacting them to see if there are any others you could join. I am not sure who your coordinator is, but mine was Chris and she was beyond fabulous. She was always willing to help me and answer my (many) questions.

I did not go to the Donor Appreciation last fall, as we had something else going on that same weekend. I really wish we could have worked that into our schedule, as I would have really like to have attended. Did you go? If so, how was it? I recevied my certificate and medal in the mail about 2 weeks after the event. I had no idea they would present us with those. I am not sure if that is standard for all transplant centers, but really found it to be a very nice gesture on their part. I like that they acknowledged their donors and are bringing attention to living donation, so people know this is an option.

I did not realize we donated at the same place. It is really nice to "meet" someone else who donated there as well.  Let me know if you are able to get enrolled in a study. My Husband and I liked it both because it will hopefully help others, and it is an extra way to keep tabs on our own health as well.

Linda

P.S. Do you know if your name is up on the Donor Wall yet? It took quite a while for mine to be put there - I want to say maybe a year or so? I am not sure if that is standard practice at all centers either, but I thought that was kind of cool as well. :)
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved