| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Asking for help in New Zealand  (Read 5415 times)

karlina

Asking for help in New Zealand
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »
Hey guys, so basically i dont really know what else to try, so i though you would perhaps have some ideas? Ive expressed interest in becoming a live liver donor, but sadly in New Zealand i cannot just donate part of my liver for a matching recipiant. I must know the person in need. i found this to be very strange, as how many people ( especially children) need to die before they will accept a genuine offer of help? Do you guys have any advice on what to do next? The live transplant co-ordinater here has dismissed me, and the childrens hospital has referred me back to her. Ive hit a brick wall, and this is something i really want to do. Im more so wanting to help a baby or a child because as a mum i believe no child should be lying in a hospital hooked up to a machine with tubes and what not everywhere. Im feeling heartbroken and let down. :(

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Asking for help in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »
Karlina,

Since living liver donation surgery is much riskier than kidney donation, I can understand the hesitancy on part of the hospital. Why do you want to be  a live liver donor as opposed to kidney donor? You can also be a  I found this article which may give you information about non related kidney donation http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/6081341/Nelson-kidney-donor-did-not-let-fear-stop-her

Good luck

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

karlina

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:52:21 PM »
Hi there Sherri.

The reason for choosing to be a liver donor opposed to a kidney donor is that my son who is now 14months old was born with only one kidney, so in the hopefully unlikely event that his kidney failed i would like to know that i can donate one of mine to him :) Im aware that its a difficult surgery and there are still alot of research to be done, but i just want to try to help save a life of a child who is suffering, that is just something i find very sad.

Thanks
Karlina

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:57:24 PM »
I think there are a few donors here in the States who have been both liver and kidney donors, I don't think that is too common so you will have to research what the likelihood is if you were to become a liver donor, what the chances are a hospital would consider you for a kidney donor subsequent to that surgery, if that is a concern for you. In addition, liver surgery is a much riskier surgery, so deciding to have elective surgery of this nature with a child so young may also be something to think about.  One never knows what the future brings. You may or may not even be a match to your son or you may not even be healthy enough to donate. As a parent, I also wanted to hold onto my kidney for the just in case if one of my children needed it. Hopefully, your son will just be one of the many who are born with one kidney and whose bodies compensate. Sounds like you really want to help children in some way. Perhaps you can explore other areas besides living donation that may also satisfy this need. Are you a blood donor or part of a bone marrow registry?
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:45:51 AM »
     Here in the U.S. most transplant hospitals that I know of will likewise not accept the offer of the donation of a liver lobe unless the donor has some relationship with the intended recipient. This is because of the considerable risks to the donor in live liver lobe donation. There are now a couple of hospitals (at least) that will accept the offer of a non-directed liver donation, but it sems to be a fairly new development. I can only suggest that you continue to get well informed about living liver donation and its risks, and continue in communication with transplant hospitals and organizations there in New Zealand.
    best wishes,
        Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved