| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Four weeks out, one more question  (Read 10362 times)

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Four weeks out, one more question
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 03:11:05 PM »
Yikes!  I thought the limitations on lifting were just for six weeks.   I work as an EMT and we lift some very heavy people.  Does this mean I can't go back to work? I had to postpone my six week check up until next Wednesday, so i guess I can get the docs opinion then.

Offline smudge

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
I think they say don't lift anything more than 10-12 pounds for the first 6 weeks.  If you're lifting anything heavier, like people, you're looking more like 12 weeks plus.

The risk of an incisional hernia is not worth taking.  Please check with your team and make sure they know what your job is.

Good luck :)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »
Hi, Paula.
  I was also an EMT, years ago.
  About the lifting--it really can take a while. After a couple of months I was pretty much back to normal, though I remember that I was still sensitive to bumps on the road.  Does your bus (ambulance) have good shocks? 
   On the other hand, I'm about to hit six months, and over the last few days I must have lifted something that caused a fair amount of aching since then.
   So, do be careful!
          Be well, Snoopy

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional