| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: The ethics of being a living transplant donor: Ethics and Religion Talk  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.mlive.com/opinion/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/04/the_ethics_of_being_a_living_t.html

The ethics of being a living transplant donor: Ethics and Religion Talk

By Rabbi David Krishef

Reader John D. asked, "If you are matched with a recipient through a living transplant program such as those for bone marrow (National Bone Marrow Donor Program), a kidney or a portion of a liver, are you obligated in any way to to through with the donation?"

The issue of a living donor giving a kidney or a portion of a liver is more medically complicated and dangerous than donating marrow. Most of the responses I got on this question specifically mentioned bone marrow donations. Perhaps a future column will take on the question of donating a kidney or a portion of one's liver.

Dr. Aly Mageed, a Shura member (roughly equivalent to an elder or a member of the Board of Trustees) of the Islamic Mosque and Religious Institute of Grand Rapids, responds:
"The issue of organ donation offers quite a few ethical dilemmas. Giving of one's self to help a needy person is the ultimate form of altruism. There is a moral obligation for us as autonomous human beings to accept some potential harm in order to benefit another that is in need. To many of us, it does not make a difference if this 'other' is related or a stranger. Therefore, more than 11 million have registered on the National Marrow Donor Program (WWW.NMDP.org) alone. Morally, one has an obligation once he /she pledges to donate to carry out with the process but legally one also has a right to back out for health reasons, unavailability, or even a fear of a bad outcome to self and/or patient. However, the time of this re-consideration should be early in the process since it should not harm the patient on the other side where a time left to recourse could be a fleeting luxury. I always tell potential donors that if one is not sure, do not start the process."
David Spearman, the senior pastor of the Faith Ministries Center Church, responds:
"Before a person ever signs up for the living transplant program, they should think through the process and the impact it would have on their life. With that being said, I believe that it is a great idea to become a part of this program, because through your gift a life can be saved. Someone close to me was matched as a bone marrow donor and followed through on the donation, the result was that the donation proved to be life saving.
"I suppose a person who signed up for the program, and then decides to leave the program could do that, but you signed up because you wanted to help someone. More importantly by signing up for the program you were in a sense giving your word that you would follow through, all a person has in this world is their word. The Bible says that if a man swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge he shall not break his word. Jesus tells us that our yes should be yes, if I say that I will do something I should follow through and keep my word.
"When my children were young, they would ask for things or to do something and I would say no. I wasn't trying to be mean or be a jerk, I just wanted to think through the request. Once I thought about it and decided to say yes, my children were happy, but more importantly I didn't have to try to turn a yes into a no and have them think my word was no good. The point here is that maybe we should not be so quick to agree to something. It is important that we keep our word, otherwise you become someone that is unreliable and your word has no value."
Father Kevin Niehoff, O.P., a Dominican priest who serves as Adjutant Judicial Vicar, Diocese of Grand Rapids, responds:
"No one is ever obligated to go through with the donation, and the donor organization is not obligated to accept your gift of an organ or tissue. In examining the frequently asked questions at the National Bone Marrow Donor Program website, the organization is clear that donation is voluntary and that anyone may back out at any time. The organization asks that if one chooses to back out that this decision be conveyed to the program so the search for the proper bone marrow donor may move forward. There is no ethical or moral conflict with backing out, even at the last minute."
Fred Wooden, the senior pastor of Fountain Street Church., responds:
"I would say no, as circumstances may have changed between the time you registered as a donor and when you are matched. But I would say that unless the donor's life has changed in a way that would make donating harmful or costly, once one has agreed to give it is a pledge or promise. Breaking that promise could have real consequences."

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved