| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My last OPTN/UNOS Board meeting?  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
My last OPTN/UNOS Board meeting?
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:49:09 PM »
Any problems, suggestions, questions?  Do tell!  I fly to Richmond tomorrow for the annual meetings of the OPTN and UNOS.  This marks three years since I was elected by OPTN and UNOS members to represent the general public, and living donors among the general public, at the national policy level.  It has been educational, humbling, frustrating, and rewarding at turns and all too often, all at once.  Once again, I've reviewed the reams of background material distributed in advance.  Once again, I hope dignity and respect will characterize informed debate of how best to serve the needs of potential recipients, recipients, donor family members, living donor candidates, and living donors.  "Patients" doesn't seem to cover us all, somehow, leaving out one or more groups.

So, what's on your mind?  Let me know!  I'm your representative for 48 more hours!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: My last OPTN/UNOS Board meeting?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »
John,

Thank you so much for all the wonderful work you do on behalf of living donors.

The most important advancement I'd like to see for living donors is the establishment of a living donor registry, standardization of protocols, and transparency between hospitals so that we can learn from each other.

I hope that whoever takes your place will be able to continue to advocate for living donors.

All the best,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline stevewin@windstream.net

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »
i am late in seeing this. i agree with sherri on her requests.  steve

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 12:56:17 PM »
I am also very late in seeing this, but I also agree with Sherri and Steve. Sherri summed it up beautifully. Thank you for all you have done.

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »
A stronger push for LIVING KIDNEY DONORS......and much, much better information....
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved