| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Hernia?  (Read 5992 times)

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
Hernia?
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
I donated almost 5 weeks ago (June 6th) and am curious about a new sensation I'm feeling at my belly button.  I have a minor incision at my belly button (used for the laproscopic scope I think), a small incision a few inches above my belly button, a small one on my left side, and the main incision at my bikini area (like a c-section).  On Thursday I lifted a portable stereo, which I believe is under 10 lbs, but I had to lift it up and over the back of a chair and am wondering if I twisted wrong.  I'd been feeling good with pretty much no pain before that except the off and on twinges (muscles healing?).  Then Thursday night I felt pain on my left side where the kidney was removed and a little pain in my stomach around the belly button.  I put a heating pad on my left side which helped temporarily and went to bed.  Yesterday (Friday) I noticed a pulling pain under my belly button in the middle of the morning.  It has continued since then but seems to be off and on.  It might hurt when I reach to grab something or stand/sit up.  I am wondering if anyone else had anything like this.  My coordinator said to take extra strength tylenol, keep using my heating pad, don't lift anything, don't push on my stomach (that is when I was feeling the pain earlier yesterday), and to see my doctor Monday if it hasn't gone away (I donated out of state).  I think if it is a hernia, I'd have a bulge but I don't see anything like that....just that odd pulling pain/sensation.  Just curious as to whether anyone else experienced this.  Thanks!
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Hernia?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
Yes, please check with your doctor if you need to take pain meds. 

I had started walking pretty briskly about 2 miles a day by now and had started to do some stretching and light strengthening excercises as well.  I would definently get some tight pulling twinges at the sites, especially from belly button to lower abdomine, but nothing I needed to take pain meds for.  I would massage the inscision sites to help soften the scar tissue during the healing process, and it just plain felt comforting to do. 

I do remember vividly about the second week after surgery, one night in bed lying on my left side, removed kidney site, when something in my left side jumped!!.  It was the one and only time I had that feeling.  Figured something was shifting as the internal swelling was going down, but if sure felt strange.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:05 AM »
I only took the tylenol because my coordinator wanted me to.  I think she wanted to see if that would take care of the pain and rule out anything more than a pulled muscle.  We talked Sat night and she decided she wants me to be seen by my doctor today just to make sure.  But yesterday the pulling pain was gone and I had good energy...it must just be things healing up.  Concerned me a bit though because it was different than anything else that I've felt.  Hopefully my doctor will be able to work me in this morning just to give me (and my coordinator) peace of mind.  I was hoping this was something more people had experienced to confirm it is just stuff healing.....I get a little nervous when something new comes up and I feel like it is unusual.  I've been trying to be very good and not do too much....would love to clean some and was told I could vacuum and do the floors at 4 weeks, but decided to err on the side of caution and wait because I don't want to do any damage while things are still healing.  But am I itching to get this house cleaned up!  Then I remind myelf it will still be here next week!!  :D
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:30:21 PM »
Scar tissue will cause discomfort when it is pulled or twisted.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:18:56 PM »
when i had an incisional hernia i had no pain at all.  it was just a buldge which for me was slightly above my belly button.
It was confirmed for me by my primary care physician.  If you have any question - get it checked out.
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »
My coordinator and I decided we'd both feel better if I got it checked by my doctor on Monday even if I felt better.  I did feel better, and I did see my doctor on Monday.  She said that everything feels fine.  She can feel my internal sutures and they are all still intact with no holes or bulges.  So it seems I just pulled something.  I'm glad it was nothing major. 
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 07:30:53 PM »
Absolutely - better to know that it's nothing that to wonder if its something!!
Glad everything is ok - hope it feels better soon!
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Offline carmelpi

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »
I had the same thing at the 3 month mark - it was just one of the stitches that hadn't finished dissolving and had scootched its little self under the muscle and was annoying me.

~carmelpi

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »
Why are you LIFTING anything?    You are gambling with your long term health.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 09:25:13 AM »
I'm able to lift things under 10 lbs.  It was a portable stereo so I could sit on the couch and listen to a book on CD.  I thought it was under the limit.  It isn't like I'm walking around the house lifting things everyday, but I live alone and friends are helping out a lot as it is so I didn't want to call someone to come over and move my portable stereo.  I didn't want to inconvenience people.  And at that point I was feeling better and figured the stereo was light enough that I should be able to move it.  It was a judgement call-obviously I did something I shouldn't have.
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional